Sherman light (not for drinking)

I'm glad Rich fully disclosed that he was warned on multiple occasions about the recoil :D I have had some serious recoiling rifles but nothing has hit me that viciously, it's not like a big 45 or 50 cal where you just get shoved around it's literally like getting mule kicked, it's fast, it's brutal and you know it's coming. I know I'd be looking for the low velocity accuracy node on this one gun)

Thats a sweet looking rig! Even with my 270 SS being 1-1.3 pounds heavier than yours it still gives a real whippin' to the shooter if its offhand. I remember talking to Rhian about that also.

I went back out today to test the 170's with formed brass. It appears that they may not be the way to go, at least with this powder. I tried 4 different seating depths and most shot about an inch. Velocity was a little surprising with only a 21" barrel at 3035' with 61 grs. of RL26. I think I will try some 150 LRAB's and some 140 Bergers the next outing. Since this is not a long range build, I don't need the heaviest, highest b.c. bullets anyway. Besides, my shoulder may appreciate it!!...Rich

How far off were you for each seating depth? I've followed some other threads with the 170 and people were sometimes really jumping them well over .100 if I remember correctly. I might take my 270 ss out in the morning and make sure it's still ready for this season as I will possibly carry it for elk. Sounds like your nitride gave you some extra fps even with that short barrel. Can't remember for sure but I think I was pushing the 170 slower than that with my 24" and 62 grains of rl 26. I started a 270 ss load data thread a while ago you could also add to if you feel like it.

140 accubonds would be the bullet I'd try. At the speed you can push a 140 I'd be very skeptical of the berger 140

140 accubonds would be the bullet I'd try. At the speed you can push a 140 I'd be very skeptical of the berger 140

Ya, I was thinking the same but they didn't have any 140 AB's yesterday, only 130's. I could get those movie' pretty well I bet!......Rich

How far off were you for each seating depth? I've followed some other threads with the 170 and people were sometimes really jumping them well over .100 if I remember correctly. I might take my 270 ss out in the morning and make sure it's still ready for this season as I will possibly carry it for elk. Sounds like your nitride gave you some extra fps even with that short barrel. Can't remember for sure but I think I was pushing the 170 slower than that with my 24" and 62 grains of rl 26. I started a 270 ss load data thread a while ago you could also add to if you feel like it.

I think my barrel is tighter than yours, maybe BECAUSE of the nitride? They say it does not change the dimension, but a couple tenths would make a difference. Also, you probably have a longer throat than mine, so it is difficult to compare everything. I can not shoot 62 grains in mine. I would say 60-60.5 is max. I was jumping the bullets from -.005" in about .015" increments......rich

I am shooting the 165 matrix and 170 berger around .050" off. Dont know if its worth a try to you or not. If you go the smaller side I know we are both fans of the Swift Scirocco. You could really get those cooking!!!

I think my barrel is tighter than yours, maybe BECAUSE of the nitride? They say it does not change the dimension, but a couple tenths would make a difference. Also, you probably have a longer throat than mine, so it is difficult to compare everything. I can not shoot 62 grains in mine. I would say 60-60.5 is max. I was jumping the bullets from -.005" in about .015" increments......rich

I was reading this part wrong the first time. Now I see what you were saying. You obviously did try -.050" off

I got back out this p.m. to try the 150 LRAB's, and it looks very promising. For what I built this rifle for, they may be a better choice anyway. The 150's also had less recoil by a bit:)! I loaded 4 different charges of RL26 and it turns out that the AB's create a little more pressure, for the weight, than the 170's. I shot 62 grs. with the heaviest load at 3211', but it was a little too hot and the group opened up. I only had 2 of the 59 gr. load (wish I would have had more) but I will try them again. They were the first 2 cold bore shots . All were loaded .005" off the lands at 2.855". Everything shot better than the eol's the first try. I also shot one load of 59 grs. RL26 which was just a touch hot and clocked 3125'. This is typical of what I have seen before. Approx. 100' increase in velocity with RL26 at the same pressure. Here are a few pics......Rich 270SS 150 LRAB rl26.jpg

270SS 60 rl26:150 LRAB.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts