Semi-custom, budget LR hunting rig -- Help?

I know ur concerned about weight, but lightweight and long range really don't go together when ur starting out. Guys say they do, but I think they forget they've shot tens of thousands of rounds.
A heavy barrel helps keep the rifle settled and the load in tune.
Use a backpack sling or biathlon sling to carry ur rifle. I can pack a 15lb rifle all day with the sling mentioned.
Goodluck in ur quest

If it was me, I'd probably buy a savage rifle and deck it out as you go. That what I did with my 6.5 build. This build has been an absolute hammer. Only issues I've had with it were self inflicted and nothing to do with my equipment. It was my first DIY build so I learned a few things the hard way. You could do a Remington but I cant with a clean conscience reccomend one without telling you it may or may not need work right out of the gate. If you do go with a Remington just be prepared that it may need work. Triggers are garbage. My Remington long range shoots really good, but I had to send it back before I even fired it due to a bur in the chamber. Alot of the new ones are having primary extraction issues. Mine is fine but it seems to be a common issue. Savages for the most part are probably going to need the least amount of work to get it shooting really well. My only complaint with the savages is the action feel cheesier and are uglier than a Remington but they function the way they're supposed to.
20190926_164821.jpg

Hello all,

I'm a young 20 year old person, just starting my LR shooting endeavors. I've been looking at alot of the factory offerings, but I just can't fine one I truly am drawn to. This is for my hunting rifle, a 300WM is in-line for elk, bear and deer. I'm curious about doing a "semi-custom" if you will, for under $900-1000.

I like the Tikka, but not a huge fan of the 11 twist and 24" barrel. The Remington's (5R, Sendero, etc.) are also extremely nice, however, I just can't bring myself to carry something so heavy (sold my 5R b/c of it's weight and my style of hunting).

I'd like to see if the following is a possibility. If so, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Goal: Accuracy to 600 yards on game, 1000 on steel.
- 26" Barrel ; 10 or 9 twist
- 9 to 9.5 lbs with scope
- COAL not limited by magazine

Thank you all!

Id build a remage setup if your looking to do semi custom and want a relatively lightweight gun. Your $1000 budget is doable with a stock 700 donor action, criterion remage prefit, timney trigger, and a used aftermarket stock from the classifides here if you hunt for deals and assemble it yourself.

Savages dont have a lot of aftermarket stocks available and most are heavy.

I'm 99% certain you're looking for the Savage High Country. It's got a solid stock, a usable trigger, reasonable 0weight, a brake on magnum chambered rifles, all from the factory. I cannot attest to their performance personally, but from handling them a few times in the gunshop, they seem to be a well thought out, feature rich rifle.

Last edited:
Stockade stocks are very good and Kevin can work with you on finished weight. Pillars and bedding block, carbon composite, Multiple stock configurations. I think COL with magazine will be the sticky wicky. Out of the box accuracy is about the best average you'll find. I'm 5 out of 6 so far with Savage and that's pretty good odds. Lots of choices but you can do most of the work yourself, I'm building something very similar to whats described at the start of this post, I'm going to come in about $1100 inc. shipping. But...installed and headspaced bbl. and lug,installed and set up trigger, fit action and barrel to stock, changed bolt handle and fiddled with the lugs and bolt face. I also got a good deal on the donor action. Good Luck Dave

I would take a good hard look at the Savage line up. They have a reputation for being accurate out of the box. If you find one with the Accustock which has the aluminum block that stiffens the forearm, you may not need to replace the stock right away. The Accurtrigger is a pretty good trigger. I've heard a few Savage shooters say it's comparable to a Timney so there's need to replace it unless you want a higher end trigger or don't like the trigger blade. If you want to replace the barrel, it's easy to do it yourself. On my build, I had CDI Precision add bottom metal for a AICS magazine that will allow me to shoot a nearly 4" COAL.

Savage and tikka would be good options to start out and could be upgraded later. The Bergara B14 ridge would also be a good factory option.

Hello all,

I'm a young 20 year old person, just starting my LR shooting endeavors. I've been looking at alot of the factory offerings, but I just can't fine one I truly am drawn to. This is for my hunting rifle, a 300WM is in-line for elk, bear and deer. I'm curious about doing a "semi-custom" if you will, for under $900-1000.

I like the Tikka, but not a huge fan of the 11 twist and 24" barrel. The Remington's (5R, Sendero, etc.) are also extremely nice, however, I just can't bring myself to carry something so heavy (sold my 5R b/c of it's weight and my style of hunting).

I'd like to see if the following is a possibility. If so, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Goal: Accuracy to 600 yards on game, 1000 on steel.
- 26" Barrel ; 10 or 9 twist
- 9 to 9.5 lbs with scope
- COAL not limited by magazine

Thank you all!
Since this is your second go round, you've got the info and then some. Just do it. But your price point isn't realistic!

CE7B2039-315C-46D4-958A-4528966D4826.jpeg
05690AAF-97AA-4A81-8FE5-0DA7A95E932E.jpeg
I have 850.00 in to a brand new Bergara HMR 300wm. I haven't touched it not even the trigger. It shoots so good I wonder why I put out a lot more money for custom gun. The two pictures are of bullets 9-12 and 119-122.
05690AAF-97AA-4A81-8FE5-0DA7A95E932E.jpeg

I had a rem 700 adl synthetic in 308 that shot fairly consistently in the. 6 range at 100, with bedding and a laborious barrel break in. It liked the vortex barnes 168s(?), maybe it was 165s. Anyway, it was a fight, but it wound up shooting great. Then I bought an excalibur remage barrel off ebay(!) And a discounted boyds featherweight thumbhole stock, pillar bedded the stock, glass bedded it, slapped a timney 512 trigger in it. Set it up myself and with new untweaked handloads , cut the factory /bedded group size in half (low .3s /5 shots). Untrued action . 320.00 barrel w nut , 99 .00 boyds at once stock. Timney 512 120.00, pillar kit 60.00. Bedding material 5.00 . Add used action at a reasonable price or use something you already have collecting dust . It definitely can be done.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.