Semi-custom, budget LR hunting rig -- Help?

Yes completely factory other than free floating the barrel and bedding. These results are with handloads. This rifle shot around MOA at 100 yards with cheap factory ammo. My buddy bought a Remington 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag recently and we put a laminate stock on it and bedded it. We haven't worked up a load for it it yet, but it was shooting 0.75-1.00" groups at 100 yards with Federal factory ammo. These rifles shoot very well with a little work and tuning the load.

Then it is a rare gem. The SPS is Remington's cheap line of 700's and generally they are fraught with problems. As a general rule the plastic stocks are throwaways.

Even when floated and bedded the slightest pressure on the forearm of the stop tends to put it in contact with the barrel which makes field shooting off of sticks, a pack, bipod problematic at best.

How does the factory stock shoot once bedded? Does it hold moa at distance? Thank you for all the information!

If you bought one you'd be money ahead to find a used HS Precision or an inexpensive composite or plywood stock over at Stocky's.

You'll also need an aftermarket trigger and probably need to rebarrel.

Generally the SPS isn't a bad choice for a donor action but I wouldn't count on getting anything more out of it. If you can find one used cheap it's not a bad place to start.

Then it is a rare gem. The SPS is Remington's cheap line of 700's and generally they are fraught with problems. As a general rule the plastic stocks are throwaways.

Even when floated and bedded the slightest pressure on the forearm of the stop tends to put it in contact with the barrel which makes field shooting off of sticks, a pack, bipod problematic at best.

Two back to back Remington's shooting sub MOA. Both are bedded and free floated. I wouldn't call both of them rare gems.

The newer Remingtons are produced with much much better tolerances and processes than ever before. Out of the box receivers are showing less than 0.0005 runout on the face and bolt lug recesses. These are as good as custom actions, but massed produced factory 700s. I've seen some not so great Remingtons over the years, but these new ones are great. Even the cheaper models.

The newer Remingtons are produced with much much better tolerances and processes than ever before. Out of the box receivers are showing less than 0.0005 runout on the face and bolt lug recesses. These are as good as custom actions, but massed produced factory 700s. I've seen some not so great Remingtons over the years, but these new ones are great. Even the cheaper models.

If that were the case we'd see them winning matches all over the country but we're not.

They may be better than some of the older model SPS's but it's still Remington's cheap bottom of the line mass produced and marketed model 700 in a cheap, flexible plastic stock.

Savage rifles out of the box accuracy and DIY friendliness is hard to beat.

You need to find the best compromise of what you can afford, what you can shoot effectively at your range parameter, and your 3.7" COAL and weight goal. Your limitation is your budget.

Savage rifles out of the box accuracy and DIY friendliness is hard to beat.

You need to find the best compromise of what you can afford, what you can shoot effectively at your range parameter, and your 3.7" COAL and weight goal. Your limitation is your budget.

Are all Savages shooters, or are certain models not? I've looked at that 110 Hunter and for the price, it's tough to beat in my eyes. I'm just trying to find some insight into whether that certain model has any issues? I've also been trying to find out if there is COAL restrictions on my model with a magazine, versus models like the LR with a floorplate.

It has a 24" barrel, which at 500 yards I don't think will be a deal-breaker. I'd get the barrel threaded for a brake as well. Not sure for $300+ more the LR model is all worth it with a floorplate and on/off brake?

Are all Savages shooters, or are certain models not? I've looked at that 110 Hunter and for the price, it's tough to beat in my eyes. I'm just trying to find some insight into whether that certain model has any issues? I've also been trying to find out if there is COAL restrictions on my model with a magazine, versus models like the LR with a floorplate.

It has a 24" barrel, which at 500 yards I don't think will be a deal-breaker. I'd get the barrel threaded for a brake as well. Not sure for $300+ more the LR model is all worth it with a floorplate and on/off brake?

No, not even the best custom makers can honestly say that all their rifles are shooters.

Lot's of dedicated Savage guys here though that love theirs but most have had upgrades.

Of course not but for the most part they do. We can only advise, the decision is ultimately up to you. A Wyatt DBM set-up (https://wyattsoutdoor.com/product/300-assembly-with-5-round-mag/) will run ~$300, thread the muzzle is $100, the muzzle brake is ~$50 and up. The 500-yard target goal is very doable but the "NUT" trigger remains the bigger factor regardless of COAL or rifle set-up. At your age, this is not going to be your last build. If you find what you really want and need, $ave, $ave, and $ave up for it ...
Most accurate rifle out of the box.JPG

(https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/right-out-of-the-box.76570/)

"You" will have to make a decision you can live with.

If that were the case we'd see them winning matches all over the country but we're not.

They may be better than some of the older model SPS's but it's still Remington's cheap bottom of the line mass produced and marketed model 700 in a cheap, flexible plastic stock.
If what were the case? My Smith has used 20+ in the past year and said he doesn't even bother trueing them because the tolerances are so good on them. He does fix the primary extraction on a good bit of them still though. Most custom actions need work to be made perfect too. I think for a budget target or hunting build, it's going to be hard to beat one of the new production 700s.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.