R700 or custom action for LR Hunting rig?

KPK

What's you guys opinion? Do a 700 donor and save $300 or spend the $800 on a custom action?

Is the one piece bolt, side bolt release, etc. worth the extra cash?

do you already have a full custom? if not, then go all aftermarket, you won't be disapointed.
that being said i prob won't ever do a full custom build again. i'll stick to sourcing rem actions.
those little extras in an aftermarket action are sure nice though.

Do the 'custom' for the difference in dollars. I've seen several 700s lately, purchased at a discount of course, that have seen "better days", sloppy fitting bolts, extraction cams not engaging, scope base mounting holes not on the center line (we're savin' money now!). Ya' don't see that on a custom action.

If you already have the m700 donor action, a good gunsmith can make that action shoot as good as a custom. If you don't already own the donor action I would go with the custom action.

It also depends on weight, which few consider. If you want a very lightweight walkabout hunting rifle, then most custom actions are heavier than the 700, especially the titanium 700. A 700 based rifle can be made as accurate as a custom based rifle, with a bit of work and replacement parts, and it will be lighter. But if weight doesn't matter and you're buying new, go custom, unless you have a very cheap donor action.
Greg

Thanks for the info guys. I currently have a Surgeon 591 being built to a 260 Rem. It'll have all the "goods". That's kind of my dilemma! Got $3,000 in this rig and the way I have it figured out with the R700 and Manners stock with Chassis system I could be right around $2000 total!

Found a WSM donor for $360!

My gunsmith charges $350 to chamber, true, and crown!

Oh and it's stainless.

Also, yes it will be a lighter weight hunting rig. #5 Brux fluted barrel, dbm, Manners t or t3 stock...

The tolerances held by the custom action makers far exceed what a 700 will ever be. That Surgeon is one of the 'heavier' of the custom actions. Many others are made on the 700 'foot print', but to much better tolerances and specifications. Take a look at the Defiance and Pierce actions, not much heavier but much higher quality! Even the Montana Rifle Co. action exceeds the 700 for squareness and fit. I build lots of rifles on 700s, but a custom action will always be my first choice.

Last edited:
In your earlier post you said 591, but the RSR would be comparable in weight to the others I mentioned (a round, 700 clone). One more point, a rifle built using a custom action will retain a higher value than a 700 will.

Oh sorry was talking about my 260 being built now, lol.

I think I'm to the point where I might as well do the right thing and go custom. I know I wouldn't be happy with it since I'm building from the ground up.

While I have your attention, what do you think. DBM or BDL bottom metal?

What's done on the bottom side depends on the intended use of the rifle. Most of those customs will allow for Wyatts extended magazine box, which in turn, will allow for longer overall cartridge length, a desirable thing for a LR hunting rifle. If a detatchable, box magazine system is used, you're limited in the length of your rounds. Sometimes the length really matters, sometimes not so much (when we're talking about accuracy). Box magazines are convenient, and nesessary if the intended use is the tactical style matches we see here in Oklahoma. BDL style bottom metal would be my choice if the intended use is as a hunting rifle (if I need rapid mag changes while there, I should probably be at the range practicing instead of hunting).

Today, I just bought another Tooley Orion action, RBRP magnum bolt face, threaded bolt handle, fluted bolt melonite coated with M16 extractor and trued heavy lug for $850

No way any tweaked 700 is as smooth or as reliable for $850 total counting 700 action worth, no matter who does the work!

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.