Recommended 7mm RUM LR Hunting Rig

BagABuck

After weeks of running in circles trying to find the perfect blend of recoil, accuracy, and literal knockdown, the 7mm RUM was my definite favorite choice. Now I need a good custom setup, I want about a 26.5 inch barrel, this way the barrel is long enough (for hunting) to be set back at the end of barrel life. I'm also a big fan of McMillan's short action and GA Precision's Templar bolt systems (which I assume are practically the same). For stocks, I'm clueless,'nuff said. Of course, the Nightforce 5.5x22x56 is my choice, with mil-dots, no shocker there. 1/2 MOA at least, no exceptions, if I can't shoot a whitetail ethically at 750 yards at least, then it's not for me. If you know any really good rigs, post 'em, I'de love to know the ones that work exceptionally well. Still, I have no plan to blow 10K on a McMillan, especially not when you can get a Desert Arms in .308, .270 WSM, 6.5x47Lapua, and a few more calibers all in the same gun for 5k.

If building from scratch, I'd go 28" bbl minimum on 7 rum. I think any additional length over 26 is well utilized by both the 7 and 300 rum from the studying I've done. Might not handle quite as well but I think you'll reap performance benefits. that said, my 7 rum is still factory pipe 26"... It'll be longer when I replace it... so I haven't been there done that.. So take it with a grain of salt.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.