Building my LR rig

Yeah I am totally back to the drawing board. No tags so I have at least 16 months before I would be able to hunt big game. I also didn't know the 7 rum was on the chopping block until I mentioned building one to my dad. My grandpa shoots .264 and has buckets of brass along with components And .280 ai is worth a stronger look.

Finished in march, .260 rem, 700 blueprinted short action, ptg bolt, 28" bartlein #9, jewell trigger, hs psv-096. Vortex viper hs-t 4-16x44 that I am working on replacing. Sending 142 smk's at 2850 over h4831sc, just under 3" coal, single shot. I won the first two matches I shot with it, then had to take care of some career improvement in September so my season was cut short. So far I am sitting just under 1000 rounds through it, hits out to 1200. Was working on stretching the legs when I had to hang it up for a few months.

I've got a happy family, a good job, a great rifle and more public land than I know what to do with. Pretty much all I can ask for.

29p8489.jpg

Awesome. Hope you can draw a tag, must suck living somewhere that you cant get 50 tags a yr. Of course when you do get a NV tag you have some real critters to hunt.

Correct you are. When we draw a tag the chance at real quality animals is serious. We work our butts off hiking ridges and spotting for hours. Tags are hard to come by so I try to hunt with others, I have no problem spotting and packing meat. We used to take kids out that didn't have much guidance, we met them while helping with hunter safety classes.

Tags apps are due in march, I will know by late May if I draw.

I'd take getting drawn once every 5 years over what we have down in Mississippi. The last 10 hunts I've made on public land have been ruined by other people walking in on me during prime hunting times either squirrel hunting with dogs or just walking aimlessly through the woods looking for a spot after daylight because they were too hungover to get up early. Also, they shoot everything that moves down here. Folks travel hrs to come to the Delta where the best antler potential is then shoot the first forkhorn that walks by. If it's too small to meet criteria, they just take the backstraps out and leave the rest to rot. Count your blessings .

Finished in march, .260 rem, 700 blueprinted short action, ptg bolt, 28" bartlein #9, jewell trigger, hs psv-096. Vortex viper hs-t 4-16x44 that I am working on replacing. Sending 142 smk's at 2850 over h4831sc, just under 3" coal, single shot. I won the first two matches I shot with it, then had to take care of some career improvement in September so my season was cut short. So far I am sitting just under 1000 rounds through it, hits out to 1200. Was working on stretching the legs when I had to hang it up for a few months.

I've got a happy family, a good job, a great rifle and more public land than I know what to do with. Pretty much all I can ask for.

29p8489.jpg

Nice rifle! I am curious, is there a reason you want to replace the Vortex HS-T?

I am upgrading. The hs-t when I bought it was $399 at sportsmans warehouse in early 2012. I had some trouble with it tracking at my last competition, it was hot and several scopes failed that day. It seemed like the elevation knob was wandering as there was no consistency from one dope to the next. I would be low at 850, high at 550 and low at 400, then the next string be high on everything but almost the same spot at 850. I lost confidence that day, and it took sending the scope back to get piece of mind. It was repaired and returned but I don't feel the same with it anymore.

After shooting some really nice scopes on other competitors rifles I have decided that it will be well worth the investment to buy something with better glass. I am looking at a few right now, all of them make my skin crawl thinking about the cost, but that's where I am headed. I honestly have not seen a scope for less than 1000-1200 that I like better than my hs-t, hence why I am looking at march and atacr. To get a noticeably better scope, it's going to cost me.

I am upgrading. The hs-t when I bought it was $399 at sportsmans warehouse in early 2012. I had some trouble with it tracking at my last competition, it was hot and several scopes failed that day. It seemed like the elevation knob was wandering as there was no consistency from one dope to the next. I would be low at 850, high at 550 and low at 400, then the next string be high on everything but almost the same spot at 850. I lost confidence that day, and it took sending the scope back to get piece of mind. It was repaired and returned but I don't feel the same with it anymore.

After shooting some really nice scopes on other competitors rifles I have decided that it will be well worth the investment to buy something with better glass. I am looking at a few right now, all of them make my skin crawl thinking about the cost, but that's where I am headed. I honestly have not seen a scope for less than 1000-1200 that I like better than my hs-t, hence why I am looking at march and atacr. To get a noticeably better scope, it's going to cost me.

I look at high end scopes like a savings account. They hold their value pretty well and if you ever need to liquidate one you can. I buy all of mine here or on Ebag used and can usually get out for close to what I paid.
Great glass is a joyous thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.