Semi-custom, budget LR hunting rig -- Help?

Brydawg512

Hello all,

I'm a young 20 year old person, just starting my LR shooting endeavors. I've been looking at alot of the factory offerings, but I just can't fine one I truly am drawn to. This is for my hunting rifle, a 300WM is in-line for elk, bear and deer. I'm curious about doing a "semi-custom" if you will, for under $900-1000.

I like the Tikka, but not a huge fan of the 11 twist and 24" barrel. The Remington's (5R, Sendero, etc.) are also extremely nice, however, I just can't bring myself to carry something so heavy (sold my 5R b/c of it's weight and my style of hunting).

I'd like to see if the following is a possibility. If so, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Goal: Accuracy to 600 yards on game, 1000 on steel.
- 26" Barrel ; 10 or 9 twist
- 9 to 9.5 lbs with scope
- COAL not limited by magazine

Thank you all!

Hello all,

I'm a young 20 year old person, just starting my LR shooting endeavors. I've been looking at alot of the factory offerings, but I just can't fine one I truly am drawn to. This is for my hunting rifle, a 300WM is in-line for elk, bear and deer. I'm curious about doing a "semi-custom" if you will, for under $900-1000.

I like the Tikka, but not a huge fan of the 11 twist and 24" barrel. The Remington's (5R, Sendero, etc.) are also extremely nice, however, I just can't bring myself to carry something so heavy (sold my 5R b/c of it's weight and my style of hunting).

It can be done but you'll have to do some research, here's what my budget .270 AI build a few years ago.

$199 - Savage 110 L/A
$370 - Lilja 30" barrel, 3-groove, 1:8, #6 contour (.750" at the muzzle).
$250 - square action, thread, chamber, crown, sand blast, and install (by Dave
Young, Sand Coulee, MT)
$110 - B&C Duramaxx stock (olive web)
$ 40 - EGW zero MOA rail (might have to go for a 20 MOA later)
$ 30 - lug nut from Stockade
$999

I'd like to see if the following is a possibility. If so, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!

You've been previously advised that Tikka LA will limit your COAL. Do you have an action donor?

It can be done but you'll have to do your homework. Here's what I did on my .270 AI budget build a few years ago.

$199 - Savage 110 L/A
Young, Sand Coulee, MT)
$999

Had a few updates since the build ...

.270 AI atop the mountain.jpg

NOTE:
Depending on your action, you can get a prefit barrel for ~$250 and up

Below is my latest build, .264 WM (Savage 111 LA ($250), Choate stock ($125 used), prefit from X-caliber ($300 threaded), MBM MB ($115))

.264 WM with 2-piece beast brake.jpg

Last edited:
You've been previously advised that Tikka LA will limit your COAL. Do you have an action donor?

It can be done but you'll have to do your homework. Here's what I did on my .270 AI budget build a few years ago.

$199 - Savage 110 L/A
Young, Sand Coulee, MT)
$999

Had a few updates since the build ...

View attachment 164527

NOTE:
Depending on your action, you can get a prefit barrel for ~$250 and up

I don't have an action donor yet. What are good actions I should consider?

This is for my hunting rifle, a 300WM is in-line for elk, bear and deer. I'm curious about doing a "semi-custom" if you will, for under $900-1000.

Thank you all!

Extremely tough to save weight on a $900-1000 budget.

$199 - Savage 110 L/A
Young, Sand Coulee, MT)
$999
What does it weigh?

Savage if you want to DIY to save cost. Rem 700 or Clone add a Wyatt's magazine to it if you want extra COAL. If you're just starting long range shooting I'd probably start with a 6 or 6.5 Creed factory rifle to accelerate the learning before moving to a .300 WM.

You're honestly going to have a hard time putting together a semi-custom for that money. You can buy used parts and shop around, but you'd have to get a really good deal on a donor action and other parts. The cheapest path would be to go with a Savage and get a prefit barrel and a decent stock and put everything together yourself. You can do a prefit barrel on a Remington as well, but the donor rifle/action will probably be a little more than the Savage.

Personally, I'd buy a good factory rifle and just build from that. You can rebarrel it and upgrade it later on down the road. It might cost more in the long run, but the upfront costs won't be too much to keep you from being able to do it. I would really look at getting a Remington 700 SPS stainless ($700) and upgrading your stock to a Stocky's stock or B&C ($200-250). The new 700s have proven to be very accurate with tolerances equal or better than custom actions. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up as a starter rifle and something to build on.

Both of my semi customs started as factory Remington 700s. I used them until I wanted more and could afford to upgrade them. Not everybody can drop $1500+ on a rifle. I'm 23, in school and working as many hours as I can while building my life and career. I certainly can't justify spending that kind of money all upfront at this point in my life, and I'm sure there's others who feel the same way I do. I can however afford to upgrade my rifles and gear a little bit at a time. This is why I opt to start with a factory rifle, use it and learn it the best you can. Then find what you like and don't like about it, and start upgrading it and bettering it for yourself.

You're honestly going to have a hard time putting together a semi-custom for that money. You can buy used parts and shop around, but you'd have to get a really good deal on a donor action and other parts. The cheapest path would be to go with a Savage and get a prefit barrel and a decent stock and put everything together yourself. You can do a prefit barrel on a Remington as well, but the donor rifle/action will probably be a little more than the Savage.

Personally, I'd buy a good factory rifle and just build from that. You can rebarrel it and upgrade it later on down the road. It might cost more in the long run, but the upfront costs won't be too much to keep you from being able to do it. I would really look at getting a Remington 700 SPS stainless ($700) and upgrading your stock to a Stocky's stock or B&C ($200-250). The new 700s have proven to be very accurate with tolerances equal or better than custom actions. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up as a starter rifle and something to build on.

Both of my semi customs started as factory Remington 700s. I used them until I wanted more and could afford to upgrade them. Not everybody can drop $1500+ on a rifle. I'm 23, in school and working as many hours as I can while building my life and career. I certainly can't justify spending that kind of money all upfront at this point in my life, and I'm sure there's others who feel the same way I do. I can however afford to upgrade my rifles and gear a little bit at a time. This is why I opt to start with a factory rifle, use it and learn it the best you can. Then find what you like and don't like about it, and start upgrading it and bettering it for yourself.

How much do you think an SPS would weigh after going to a different stock? I've been eyeing the Savage 110 Hunter. I've been confused, because it sounds like DBMs on the Savage limits COAL when compared to a floor setup. Have you worked with an SPS before?

You can't beat the Model 70 CRF and Model 700 when it comes to good actions to build off of.

Pick up a cheap gun with either action at a pawn shop or gun show and start building from there.

I prefer the Model 70 CRF for numerous reasons but have large numbers of both in my "inventory".

Another excellent action that never gets enough page time in the US is the CZ550 with the single set trigger. It may be the best factory Mauser type action on the market.

The SPS in factory form is about 7.7lbs. That's with the flimsy stock from the factory. My Dad has an SPS Stainless in 7mm Rem Mag. He kept the factory stock but glass bedded it and stiffened it up some. He has a 5-20x50 Sightron on it and it weighs probably 10lbs with optic. I've never actually weighed it, but it's not super light, but not unbearably heavy either. It's hard to get a light rifle on a budget without going with a carbon or fluted barrel and a carbon or fiberglass stock like a McMillan, Manners, or Proof. B&C offers their Alaskan stock that's a little over 2lbs and costs around $250-275. That would be the best option. It has a full length aluminum bedding block and would add probably 8-12oz to the factory stock, but is much stiffer and stronger. Remington long action mag boxes are around 3.700" from the factory, and I'm not 100% sure on Savage, but I think they are 3.550-3.600".

The SPS in factory form is about 7.7lbs. That's with the flimsy stock from the factory. My Dad has an SPS Stainless in 7mm Rem Mag. He kept the factory stock but glass bedded it and stiffened it up some. He has a 5-20x50 Sightron on it and it weighs probably 10lbs with optic. I've never actually weighed it, but it's not super light, but not unbearably heavy either. It's hard to get a light rifle on a budget without going with a carbon or fluted barrel and a carbon or fiberglass stock like a McMillan, Manners, or Proof. B&C offers their Alaskan stock that's a little over 2lbs and costs around $250-275. That would be the best option. It has a full length aluminum bedding block and would add probably 8-12oz to the factory stock, but is much stiffer and stronger. Remington long action mag boxes are around 3.700" from the factory, and I'm not 100% sure on Savage, but I think they are 3.550-3.600".

How does the factory stock shoot once bedded? Does it hold moa at distance? Thank you for all the information!

Great results. And this is a stock rifle, besides bedding? I may need to take a look at one..
Yes completely factory other than free floating the barrel and bedding. These results are with handloads. This rifle shot around MOA at 100 yards with cheap factory ammo. My buddy bought a Remington 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag recently and we put a laminate stock on it and bedded it. We haven't worked up a load for it it yet, but it was shooting 0.75-1.00" groups at 100 yards with Federal factory ammo. These rifles shoot very well with a little work and tuning the load.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.