McGuire Ballistics 338's!

Starting a post here as I'm diving into testing some new monolithic hunting bullets from McGuire Ballistics!

The bullets to be tested are the 250 & 225 grain "Copper Rose" projectiles. 250's are up for pre-ordered and the 225's soon to be posted on the site, also for pre-orders.

I will be using two different rifles to do some basic load development and BC testing with. It will be a Standard 338 Norma for the 250's, and a 33 Sherman Magnum for the 225's.

Here's a pic for reference!

225 OAL = 1.755"

250 OAL = 1.925"

View attachment 567563

Stay tuned!
I am looking forward to your .338 NM test. Good luck!

Ed

I have just started to wander into the 338 Win Mag world, mostly because I have a few friends in Wyoming and Alaska who swear by them. I came across a Stainless Remington 700 in 338 Win Mag on the Kramer Auction Site in Prairie du Chien that piqued my attention. (Kramer Auction Service is a very good place to look for firearms. Curt evaluates each one and gives a brief evaluation of the actuaI condition. What you see is what you will get. He doesn't inflate the condition. He also gives a evaluation of what he feels the gun in it's condition is worth. Buying or selling it's a good place to find/sell your firearm. You can trust his evaluations. I have bought/sol many firearms there and have never gotten burned) ended up winning the auction and picked up the rifle in a few days later. I was surprised by the outward appearance, it appeared to be new and only had a few minor dings in the stock. Since Vortex is actually on the way home I stopped in and got a Strike Eagle 5 - 25 x 56 scope. Since I had the rifle out in the car they offered to mount and bore sight it for me at no additional charge. (If you ever come to Wisconsin swing by Barneveld and take a look at the different optics available, as well as the display of optics returned under their lifetime no questions asked warranty) So now I have a rifle, scope mounted and ready to go but no ammo. Finding 338 factory ammo is not exactly easy, or so I thought. Looking on line I was able to find some 338 ammo, but at let's say gouging prices. I did eventually find some Amscor 225 gr trophy tipped reasonably priced at $48 per box of 20, this would become my 40 round base for cases for reloading. Of course one has to shoot the factory to produce the cases. Before I shoot any rifle I always clean it and borescope it, especially since the debacle with the new Browning AB3 in 300 Win Mag. During the borescope I was amazed to find that probably outside of a proof shot at the factory, the barrel looked to be in a unfired/new condition. Took some pictures and sent them to Len, who confirmed my suspicions. Now to the range. Kathy and I took the new rifle out to Deerfield to sight it in. Since it was only boresighted started out at 50 yards. I was going to fire a 5 shot group, then adjust the sights. I stopped at 4 shots simply since I didn't want to take the chance of me screwing it up. If you look real close at picture, the far left hits, yes hits, there are two rounds in a slightly elongated hole,. Then there is one touching those two and one pulled slightly off to the right. The orange printing of the lines on the target are 3/8 of an inch. Weather has been really crappy here lately, wind in excess of 25 mph with gusts to 40. One of these days when the winds calm down will see what it will do at 100, then when up north take it out to the Northwoods Range in Gordon, WI and see what it will do out to 300. In the mean time gathering 338 component to see If my reloads can beat the Amscor 225's.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 9
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 9