Scope that won't break on 300 win mag

Leupold VX 3 4.5X to 14X with a 30mm main tube, 40mm Objective lens. Lap the rings before mounting . Look at the Larry Potterfield U Tube video. Wheeler Engineering Scope Mounting kit. Stop with the Lead Sled. Get a Bald Eagle Cast iron Rest and correct bag . Just my 2 cents. Good luck buddy !!!!

My first 300 W/M, also a Savage 110, wore 8 scopes and busted them all. various brands as well, Simmons, Tasco, Bushnell 5 times, and the lst one it broke was a weaver. I sold that gun. for the life of me I forget why.. oh yea, this guy wanted it much more than I did.. sold it for $750.00 when it was going for $500.00 new. still do not understand why the guy wanted it that badly. I now have a new 300 W/M that has a Leupold VX-3 (6-20 X 50MM B&C) on it. the scope has not whimpered. tracks great, all the knobs work and the scope tracks no mater how many times I move it, it always goes back to zero. wonderful scope. I love that gun and the scope. $500.00 limit will not get you the scope you need for that gun. I suggest Leupold VX-3 or VX-3i, Nikon Monarch 5, Burris Veracity, Signature HD, or Fullfield IV. I would also check out the Burris XTR III and XTR II.
Either there was a problem with your mounts, rings, or the way they were mounted. In over 50 years, I've never broken a scope on a large caliber rifle, and I've owned hundreds of both.

Lead sled is not for everybody and we all have different personal experiences and opinions. I still have the original lead sled and I used it primarily for barrel break-in as I can easily transition between shooting and cleaning. Yes, I have a different kind of shooting rests/configurations, but as seen below is my preferred set-up for barrel break-in or cleaning barrels. 15+ years of use without breaking scopes (including cheap ones) or stocks. Where users ran into a problem is when they misuse it with 100 pounds of counterweight to eliminate the recoil. I do not use weight and rigged mine with a $1.99 set of straps to secure the rifle in place esp. when cleaning. "My" only problem with is that I cannot get a good and consistent cheek weld and cradle.

Lead sled.jpg

The OP has gotten very good recommendations and hopefully resolves it soon.

It's not the scopes fault. 4 scope failing is not coincidence. You mentioned using a led sled. Stay away from those like the plague. All that energy your body would normally soak up has to go somewhere. Secondly make sure you use a torque wrench when you tighten the rings. I ruined a scope by not using a torque wrench once.
i agree with u .. i completely didn't pay attention on this particular.. you are rigth...

This is a good topic however I have seen the internals shift inside the lower end scopes in extremely cold weather with one shot, lapping & proper mounting technique matters not some have weakness that are inherit.

I have never seen the hairs go out in a 70 degree day using a lead sled - even a cheapo banner or tasco its always been during extreme cold for hours.

Someone posted the 300win had more recoil than the Weatherby, again in my experience not even close the Win is mild in comparison imo

Buy a good scope & it will last. Swaro Zeiss Leupold NF will hold up to anything imo.

Did you mean the other way around? The .300 WBTY (99gr) has ~10gr more capacity than the .300 WM (89gr) depending on source reference.
OK, maybe I'm tired or just cranky, but, where are you "Blackpowder 72"? You post that you have a problem and now we are 11 pages into alot of seasoned shooters giving you good advice and you have yet to respond. Dude, that's just plain rude! This is the best forum out there and I'm sure those that did try to help you out would like to know what has helped you or if you've even done anything. Short of an immediate family or medical emergency, this old man ain't giving you a pass!

Have had a bottom of the line Leupold 4x12 Rifleman on a 338 mag for years . Has never needed to be re sighted. Still dead on. This is a $259 prepaid scope from Midway. Same tough durability as the more expensive Leupold line. Simple.

I'm not a fan of those two scope companies. Nightforce will do just fine

But be warned at those prices you get what you pay for. Buy a used NF...
Have a used NF and never an issue...just big and heavy...rock solid new or used...

I have a Savage in 300 win mag that absolutely eats scopes. I've blew up 4 scopes . 2 Bushnell and 2 Vortex . They have all be warranted . I usually miss something before I know the scope is junk. I have a DNZ Game Reaper mount . I'm not looking to break the bank here . $500 -$600 is my budget . Any ideas ??? Thanks.
I have a Savage in 300 win mag that absolutely eats scopes. I've blew up 4 scopes . 2 Bushnell and 2 Vortex . They have all be warranted . I usually miss something before I know the scope is junk. I have a DNZ Game Reaper mount . I'm not looking to break the bank here . $500 -$600 is my budget . Any ideas ??? Thanks.
Check out used Zeiss conquest scopes! I love the 4-16-44 with 30mm tube. Burris seem to hold up if you can find one that tracks properly new. Leupold are ok but my nod goes to Zeiss. I'll prolly **** a bunch off but I shot a buddies .50 bmg with a Night force on it and don't see the hype in them, I'm sure they're good.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.