Scope Opinions????

pawlak1948

For longrange huning 1000 to 2000 yds which scope? The Nightforce 12-42 NSX with 1/4 clicks and side adjust parallex, or the Nightforce 12-42 bench model with 1/8 clicks and objective parallex focus. OR, the 8-32 Nightforce. Is there enough elevation MOA with a 20 MOA base or will more be needed for a Big 30 cal wildcat?

I've never used the Nightforce line, but just from your description, I'd take the one with the side focus. I use a Leupold Mark 4 M1, and love the side focus.

The higher power NXS scopes don't have much windage and elevation adjustment. The 5-22X56 has 100 moa elevation if I remember right. Anything above that has like 60 moa elevation. I don't think that would be enough to shoot from 1000-2000 yards.

Here are the NXS windage and elevation adjustment ranges according to the 2002 catalog.
Scope Elevation Windage
3.5-15x50 110 80
3.5-15x56 110 80
5.5-22x56 100 60
8-32x56 65 45
12-42x56 45 35

Hope that this is of value.

Ian

On the NXS scopes, are they centered, meaning that for a scope with 110 MOA of elevation travel, 55 is up and 55 is down?

Most of the Leupolds are like that (except the Mk4 M3 I believe) and I was wondering if the NXS line is similar.

Does Richard Near have a 30 or 40 MOA tilt base?

I'm thinking that with a centered 110 MOA and a 40 tilt there would be 95(+-) MOA available. That amount should get to 2000 yards easily with a big 30 and sleek bullets. My 338 RUM uses about 70 MOA for 1750 yards and it starts out pretty slow on the 300 grain bullets.

Certainly not a premium scope, like the Nightforce, but I have had very good success with the Tasco SS sniper scopes from SWFA. It has a 30mm body and 120MOA adjustments for elev and windage. Optics are pretty good. The reticle is a mildot type so there is another 36MOA of "internal" elevation.

I am guessing on the distance but with my 20X, I can see milk jug size boulders at "over 1 mile" (a long ways anyhow). The rocks I have measured and the distance will be confirmed when my WILD arrives.

The knobs have been repeatable and the rear focus is a nice touch. The scope is also affordable at $299. Would like to hear comments from others who have used this scope.

Good luck...

Jerry

Dave,
I cranked and counted the clicks in my NXS's and would assume that I could center them by going up halfway. I really like how crisp the Nightforce turrets are - takes a lot of use to get a MK4 as "clicky" - although they will get there.

I believe that Richard Near makes higher sloped bases. Suggest that you contact him as he will no doubt explain what is available. He has a pretty good range of products, will fit quite a few actions.

You have seen our Near bases - they are superb. Marty's (Badger Ord.) are also tops. Pretty tough choice - Richard has a wider variety of styles, Weatherby etc.

Richard's e-mail is: [email protected]
and you can reach him at (306) 463-3484.

These Picatinny rails are expensive but they are incredibly uniform and great if you like to switch scopes around. They let you reach out there. Hey - your dollar is worth $160 up here don't forget!

Jerry Teo, I am also checking into the Tasco...As I am new to the sport, I would like to see what long range optics are about without spending $1,000-$2,000. Yes, down the line when I am more into shooting accurately, I will buy the BEST optics that I can. For now, the Tasco's are looking pretty good.

Jerry,

I have one of the older SS10x42 models (circa 1998 or so) that has the rear parallax focus. I have it mounted on a Rem 700VS in .223 Rem w/ a 20" barrel... I've used other scopes and what not w/ this gun, but this combo just 'looks' right, plus it handles and feels pretty darn good too. A couple weeks ago was the first time I tried really shooting this scope at longer ranges in a local LR/Tactical match at 500yds, and to put it mildly, I need to do some work as far as confirming clicks for that long range. I was pretty much nuts on at 350-400yds on the silhouettes, but 500 kicked my butt. But I was using a .223 Rem w/ a slow twist and a 50gr Sierra BlitzKing, not an optimal LR load.

As far as the scope, I've had no problems regarding repeatability, return to zero, nothing. This thing is an absolute tank by my standards, as it has gotten the snot beat out of it, as it is on what used to be my primary prairie dog/predator/truck-carry gun. The optics are perhaps not quite up to my Leupold Vari-X III 8.5-25x50mm LR, but then it cost about half of what it did, and is one heck of a lot tougher, IMHO.

I've considered getting another of these from SWFA for my (hopefully) soon-to-arrive 700VS in .308 Win. I'm very interested in the SS10x42M model, which has a side parallax adjust vs the one on the rear ocular housing, and the newer ones supposedly have better o-rings in the turrets, and keep 'clicking' audibly better (no difference in the actual movements, from what I hear).

I've also considered getting the 16x model, but I haven't heard as much favorable comments on the 16x and 20x models as I have the 10x ones. I do still have a 6.5-20x50mm Leupold LR w/ target dot reticle for target work/load development.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.