Hunting scope opinions

wjarrell

I have my Rem 700 at GAP, they are putting together a 7mm rem mag with bartlein #3 barrel. This is going to be my main hunting gun for deer size game out to 800 yards. Where I hunt I can have a 100 yard shot to 800 yard shot.

Criteria:
low power no more than 5
high power 14 to 20
objective no bigger than 50mm
Prefer SFP (I'm afraid I wouldn't like the size of the reticle on low power in FFP on a quick shot)
Prefer zero stop but not a deal breaker
I'd like to stay around $1000 but will go up if i have to
(NO VORTEX)

I've been eyeing the new VX-5HD 3-15x44 but would like some other ideas.

Just got my first vx5 in the model you are looking at. Spent a day shooting at the range and some time glassing long range at my parents. It is awesome. I can't believe how clear and vibrant it is for the money. Looking at horses over 1000 yards away was impressive. May be the perfect hunting scope for me. I want another one to replace a mk4 on my 7wsm now. The locking turret is great. Mine is on a 338 rum without a brake so it will be tested for durability.

w, many have found their eyes don't see the same through a scope or binos as the other guy. Have a list of the scopes you're considering and go to a shop or big sporting store and look through all them yourself. You'll wind up with the scope your eyes like and may or not save money, but you'll have a proven scope you will be happy with. Good luck

As Dosh said it will depend on your eyes. Mine liked the Nightforce SHV the best of the ones I looked through. That is larger than what you want. The vx5hd is going to be tough to beat with the specs you want.

VX5 and VX6 are the perfect hunting scopes in IMO.

Huskemaw I hear from a good source are great scopes and great service but I have no personal experience with them

Well I went to Sportsmans today to look at some scopes. I looked the VX-5HD 3-15x44, I like everything except how mushy the turrets feel. I don't know if I want to spent that kind of money on a scope with turrets that feel like my 3-9 Redfield. Although I do really like the push button and the zero stop. I also looked at the SHV and I wasn't very impressed with those clicks either. The one I looked at was the F1 and I was soon reminded that FFP is NOT what I want. Reticle was way too small on 4 power for me.

It's a good thing GA Precision said it will be 3 months before my build is done. I still have some time to decide.

You could always just go right on up to the ATACR. That'll probably have everything you want, except for the price point. It's all about compromises.

I'd recommend a Vortex AMG 6 - 12 x 50 for its outstanding quality and light weight but its seems just a bit above the magnification you want. The AMG line is Vortex' absolute top quality stuff. Personally I'd put it up against Swarovski any day.

The AMG is all made in the USA including the glass. The reticle is etched in Germany but everything else is USA. Thus it's a bit pricey. :eek:(

Eric B.

Keep in mind that even though a turret might not feel as sharp as some others, it can still function properly even if it feels mushy. The vx5 or vx6 checks all your other boxes, and has really good low light performance which is obviously very important on a hunting scope

Yes, the "clicks" on the VX-5 & 6's aren't really clicks and at 1st I really hated them but now I have 4 VX-6's . They track great and make my NF's feel like they are hard to turn.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.