New scope opinions

Below is a few comparison for glass only. Greg has lots of expensive scopes.

August 30, 2018 60 degrees bright sun (shooting range) Leica ER 6.5-26X56 LRS, Bushnell 6500 4 ½-30X50, Swarovski x5i 5-25X56, Swarovski z8i 2.3-18X56

Greg allowed me to adjust them as though they are mine. I picked some very small circles on a target at 300 yards and adjusted the z8i to 18X, set the parallax and fine tuned the sight picture. If I turned the magnification down even 1X I could not make out the circles. x5i was able to go down to 15 1/2X, while the Leica went down to 14 1/2X. The 6500 went down to 15X. I never get tired of being post sold on my Bushnell 6500. In this simple comparison it appears the Leica came out on top.
Not familiar with Leica at all, but will take a look. Thanks!

I gave up on Lupys a few years ago.

For the same price there are simply better scopes with better glass, especially in low light.

I've personally sent 2 back for repairs multiple times before they replaced one of them finally.

I've had more trouble with them tracking correctly than any other brand except that run of Minox made in USA scopes that weren't worth scrap metal.

My uncle came to Africa with me and my cousin in 2014. His Boone and Crockett Lupy died on the plane ride over and he used my spare Zeiss. I'll simply never trust them again.

But telling someone about scopes is like trying to help them pick a wife!

After having a bad experience with Swarovski I wouldn't suggest that brand to anyone. I had a Nightforce 12-42X56. It was fantastic, but too heavy. I had a Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 at the same time I had the Swarovski z5 5-25X52 and Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. As far as glass, how they came in on an optics chart at 127 yards, they were first 6500, second VX-6, and third z5. They all went down in the same minute when viewing deer antlers 131 yards away in the woods. The Leupold VX-5 3-15X56 lasted six minutes longer. The Swarovski 2.3-18X56 lasted another fourteen minutes. The Swarovski z6 5-30X50 was terrible and went out so early in the test I don't even remember it's time. The owner sold it right away.

I have over a hundred pages of comparing optics at the 127 yard optics chart. Most don't live up to the hype. This is only for comparing glass. Although the z5 erector failed twice. The second time Swarovski charged me $30 for something.

It would appear that Rich had a Z5 Swar....never had one but I have three of the X5s and they are top notch. I believe they have the best glass in the industry and mine have functioned flawlessly for three years now

I was in a similar situation a couple years ago - gearing up for a major hunt out West and had only East Coast-worthy glass and elderly gear at that. My rifle was up to the task, but glass was not and in fact, upon training for said hunt, the reticle in my old 3-9 detached and the scope became useless! I decided I did not want to be caught at the wrong time, wanting for that last $200 worth of performance out of my glass.

Ultimately, I decided on a Leica 2.5-10 EBR. Next to the Leica 10x42 Trinovid glasses, the Leica riflescope was the single best purchase for this trip as the only shooting opportunities that presented were at the very edges of shooting time and often in and out of shadow. The Leica scope is simple, no nonsense - the BDC reticle un-fussy and straightforward for .30-06 ballistics - non-illuminated, nothing to feed or fail. Leica is legendary for their cameras and lenses - the low-light performance made the difference in a filled tag and an empty bag. The shot I was presented was much shorter than I expected (a mere 35 yards) it was the Leica's performance in low-light/shadowed conditions at the edge of shooting time that allowed me to make an accurate viewing of the animal and place the shot precisely where it needed to go for a one and done delivery. Additionally, long glassing sessions during my week-long NM hunt with the 10x42s were never uncomfortable and I had the opportunity to compare with brand Swarovski 10x42 glasses. The Leica's were equal in every way and a few hundred dollars less for the same specs. Bottom line on the scope and glasses - would I buy them again again, yes. I paid less than $1000 from EuroOptic in 2017. The binos approx $1200.

Regarding Schmidt-Bender, I cannot say anything that will influence you more than if you send about 20 rounds your self from behind a Schmidt-Bender scope. I have a PMII 5-25 for my long-range .308 tactical rig and I have 100% confidence in this set up, daylight, low light, almost no-light. The glass clarity is as good as I have ever seen and or compared (admittedly, I've not shot US Optics, Hendsoldt or Elcan). Mechanically, it's without peer. It also costs more than I every thought I would pay for a riflescope. My Dad is surely rolling his eyes in his grave at me for it ("my Bushnell 4X killed more deer..."). It is build to be beaten, though I have not and do not intend to abuse it unnecessarily.

I've just been taken the opportunity to put together a light-weight, long range, mountain rifle in .300WM - a Kimber MA. I have purchased a Schmidt-Bender 3-12x42 Klassik for this set-up. The finished rifle will be just under 8lbs. I'm looking for this to go my West-country rig from here onward.

Best of luck with what you decide - there are many choices of course and at least as much advice, but this is a great place to get it!

Well a few people on here sourced. I'm a source.
The military is a source. I haven't seen any mk4s in any armory for awhile.
Ummm I don't recall anyone shooting over a mile professionally talking about much they like they're luepold...actually as I write this I'm pretty sure someone at ko2m recommended the mk5hd. So that price tag would max out or be a hair over the OPs price cap. For something that I found to historically need to be sent in to get fixed.

The elr record set in January was set with MK8 with the dtr reticle. @ 5400ish it's a bit out of the budget of the op. I've used a VX6 7-42 and it is the lastest I have used. The turrets were mushy they didn't correct on the turn without going past and back to the correction.
The Mk 5 3-18 has less than admirable reviews but the 5-25 seems to be good. At that price point it's hard to go with something that is a "might be good"
I shot a leupy in the service I owned a few but have not since the mid 90's. Without someone giving me one or coming on a rifle I buy I won't again.

Last edited:
Do you shoot more than 300 yards?

I do pretty regularly with my 2 VX5HDs. Spin the elevation turrets quite a bit. I haven't had a problem. These are my first leupolds, never drank the koolaid before these HD versions came out - they are pretty awesome. The one on my 270 wsm took a freaking beating this fall on the deer hunt. Packing out the straps on my Tenzing pack kept coming loose allowing the scope to bang on the antlers almost every step. Also slipped and fell back on it a couple times hiking through some knarly country... Got tired of stopping to tighten them, so just figured the scope would be jacked up after the 6 hour hike back to camp. Took it to the range a few days later to see what the damage was before my elk hunt and the dang thing was dead on. Maybe their old stuff was crap, all I know is these new VX5HD's have taken a beating and keep on performing.

Maybe. Not everyone has problems with them, and not right away. More than that something in the erector goes out, tracking become crap and the use for ELR ir precision fire becomes negated. However my point is for the $2000 on a leupold, you might as well go with another company that is not a maybe it will be messed up. I know with a pm2 or a nightforce that the probability of that issue being very low even with being banged around, over pressure from a vbied, banging around the truck bed, falling after someone trips over the gun standing on the bipod etc.
And most of the these big scope companies have legit warranty so customer service and warranty might be the least of a selling point with exception to vortex for their exceptional warranty and customer service "for the money"

I do pretty regularly with my 2 VX5HDs. Spin the elevation turrets quite a bit. I haven't had a problem. These are my first leupolds, never drank the koolaid before these HD versions came out - they are pretty awesome. The one on my 270 wsm took a freaking beating this fall on the deer hunt. Packing out the straps on my Tenzing pack kept coming loose allowing the scope to bang on the antlers almost every step. Also slipped and fell back on it a couple times hiking through some knarly country... Got tired of stopping to tighten them, so just figured the scope would be jacked up after the 6 hour hike back to camp. Took it to the range a few days later to see what the damage was before my elk hunt and the dang thing was dead on. Maybe their old stuff was crap, all I know is these new VX5HD's have taken a beating and keep on performing.

I'm glad to hear the new stuff is better! Makes me want to try them again.

Deep inside me I want to see companies make the BEST products here, but I won't buy them until they are.

The Blind "Buy American" Cult did a huge disservice to General Motors and Leupold over the years.

And most of the these big scope companies have legit warranty so customer service and warranty might be the least of a selling point with exception to vortex for their exceptional warranty and customer service "for the money"

I agree on the customer service, but spoke to the Mil-customer service head at AUSA show in DC. He said they "cleaned house" on the customer service side and in the future I could use him for a contact point.

I just laughed and told him my leupolds are relegated to rimfire only!

On a different note, if you look at EBAY there are SO many Leupold knockoffs from China. I wonder how that is affecting customer opinions?

You have to wonder about what DENWA brought up with the fakes.
Had a local guy try and sale me some fake Zeiss scopes. I nearly did it too. But came home and was researching them. Ended up calling Zeiss and figured out they were fake.

Really burns my --- that this is even possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts