LR hunting scope opinions

jrkotz

I've been through a few different rifle scopes trying to find a solid go-to for most of my LR hunting rifles.

I'm a fan of higher magnification, I find it helpful for bench work, and identifying game at longer range.

My requirements are a low power of 5 at the highest, 20+ on the high end. I require some type of illuminated reticle, and a quick elevation turret. Weight is a big factor for me.

I've landed on the Leupold VX6HD 4-24x52 CDS-ZL2 with the firedot illuminated reticle (pn 179294). Weighing in at 25.4 oz with great glass, and having a good track record for reliability, I think I've found what I'm looking for.

Other considerations is the Swaro Z5i 5-25 at only 19oz, but after an unexplained shift in POI on a 6 creed wearing a Z5, I'm hesitant

Does anyone else have a scope they'd recommend I should consider? Thanks in advance, happy new year gentlemen

Last edited:
I would always compare the comparably priced Nightforce, Tract or Vortex before I could know I was making the right decision.

It will have to be your comparison. If we make it, it will be our results.

I've been through a few different rifle scopes trying to find a solid go-to for most of my LR hunting rifles.

I'm a fan of higher magnification, I find it helpful for bench work, and identifying game at longer range.

My requirements are a low power of 5 at the highest, 20+ on the high end. I require some type of illuminated reticle, and a quick elevation turret. Weight is a big factor for me.

I've landed on the Leupold VX6HD 4-24x52 CDS-ZL2 with the firedot illuminated reticle (pn 179294). Weighing in at 25.4 oz with great glass, and having a good track record for reliability, I think I've found what I'm looking for.

Does anyone else have a scope they'd recommend I should consider? Thanks in advance, happy new year gentlemen
I have one and the VX5 4-20 with different reticles. I will no longer pay for the VX6 when a very similar VX5 is available. On a side note neither one of them are on any of my hunting guns. My kid has the VX6 on his and based on what he has been saying it is coming off very quickly. Why? What a huge ungainly beast for a scope to us.

I have one and the VX5 4-20 with different reticles. I will no longer pay for the VX6 when a very similar VX5 is available. On a side note neither one of them are on any of my hunting guns. My kid has the VX6 on his and based on what he has been saying it is coming off very quickly. Why? What a huge ungainly beast for a scope to us.
I have one of each VX5 5-20 and VX6 4-24 currently. For the extra power range and only giving up 2.1 oz, I'm happy with the extra flexibility of the VX6. Definitely a lot bigger and heavier scope than the old 3-9x40 I grew up with!

I would always compare the comparably priced Nightforce, Tract or Vortex before I could know I was making the right decision.

It will have to be your comparison. If we make it, it will be our results.
The Vortex and Tract seem very heavy.

I have not tried a NF NX8 4-32. At 29 oz,I would be giving up weight from the 4-24 VX6HD, but I am certainly a fan of the NF reliability, and the extra magnification might come in handy. Has anyone had experience with these two to offer a comparison?

The dust has barely settled on this thread about vx6s.

I have a VX5, in saying that I would also look at the nightforce SHV as well. I picked up my Leupold for a good price otherwise I would have compared the 2.