Spotting scope opinions

Just my opinion, but I dont think you will be able to count points on a rack at 800 yards with any spotting scope in your price range, unless you get something used.

Rob

Really? Maybe I'm hoping for too much then. With my 10x42 binos I can count points at 400 if it is a shooter size buck. Well points at least an inch or so long anyways. My binos are a set of Bushnell that sell for around $400-500. Several years ago I found them at gander mountain marked $179. I asked the guy if that was right because I was sure it was not. (I had already looked at them at several online stores) But he assured me it was the right price. So I bought them. The next trip I went in there they were marked $479. I love them. I have compared them side by side with my buddies Zeiss 10x42 and I can see no difference in clarity or resolution and I think mine are actually slightly brighter. He of course said he could see a big difference (favoring the zeiss), but I suppose if I paid $1000 for mine I'd tell the guy with the $179 pair that I could see a major difference too. On the rare occasion he picks mine up at the range or hunting he seems to have no trouble seeing through mine though. :rolleyes: he was even able to tell me one day at 440 yards that one of a group of does we were getting ready to send lead at was a button buck. Not sure if that was from features or if he saw buttons. I know in rifle season I glasses a guy in orange sitting in a tree stand at well over 1000. Prob closer to 1500 yards. My range finder is good for 800-1000 and I couldn't range the top of the mountain that was in between the ridge he was on and I he did just look like a dot but I could clearly see his arms and legs.

Ok. I got off track there. Thanks for all the help guys. After what I looked through already, I guess I'll just keep saving for a zen ray. Thanks again.

I just scored a Vortex Viper HD on Craigslist for 4hundo. I love it and I can't imagine needing more at this point in time. with Vortex's warrantee, I have no reservations about buying used either. If something is wrong with the item, I could send it in.

I had a Diamondback that I sold and bought a Razor 11-33x50. Even though the mag is nearly half of the bigger diamondback it is much better. At 33 power the razor is clearer and probably as bright as the 80mm diamondback at the same magnification. I got the razor as a demo from cameraland which they have for 600. I bought the diamondback new a few years ago for 500 and the smaller razor is wel worth the extra 100 dollars. Not to mention is is nearly half the size and weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts