New Spotting Scope Opinions

piutemike

I'm going to order a new spotting scope in the next couple of days from Cabelas. Why Cabelas, because I have a gift certificate for 1k. Yes, I will go through this site to do that.

My question, who has the Leupold 12x 40 60mm or the nikon fieldscope 20 x 60 60mm ed glass and how do you like them? I know they have swaro, leica, zeiss but I have 1k to work with. Bought 2 NF scopes from Bill Bailey this month and the wife will throw a fit if I take some more money out the bank.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

I bought the nikon fieldscope 20-60x60 ED with the angled eyepiece this last fall and have been absolutely pleased with it. I used it for antelope, elk, and mule deer this last fall. It is easy to pack (it rests on top of a Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod) and has very good resolution. We could judge and count points on mule deer at 2-3 miles and get a pretty good judge of the antelope at similar distances with no problems. I set it up for some friends to check out and every one of them was very impressed as they could see the logo on a radio radio tower about 5 miles away and clearly define what the logo was (it was a lightening bolt about 1'x2'). It also comes with the nylon protective cover so you can cover up the ugly green color of the scope (my only complaint, and a petty one at that).

As far as spending more to get the Swaros and Leicas, I wouldn't hesitate to put my Nikon up against either of these. I found the resolution and color to be every bit as good as the Swaros/Leicas. IMHO, the only area where the Swaro/Leica may be better is they may gain you an extra 5-10 minutes of glassing time in the fading light, this is most likely because they have bigger objective lenses (65mm vs. 60mm) not because of glass quality.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, thats what I was hoping to hear. Nice buck too. I'll be in your neck of the woods in June for Shawns class. Probably visit the Cabelas store in Post Falls, we don't have one were I live in Ca.

piutemike,
your approach is not making any sense to me, you have spared no expense in your rifle scopes but you want to cut corners on a spotting scope.
If you are like me you have many rifle scopes and some rifles just dont need a $1500 scope and others do, but you only need ONE spotting scope so why not buy the best one time and enjoy it a lifetime????????????
UB
p.s. if you are a Long Range hunter you will want the straight eye piece.
the Nikon is a nice scope but is not quite as rosey as tb7 makes it out to be

Last edited:
Nikon

Just my thought..Leave your self enough to by a GOOD tripod! THe best scope in the world is useless on a cheap tripod. I started out witht he cheap one and quickly upgraded..I could not afford the Carbon fiber one so I have the heavey one..What a ****er to pack with the scope and rifel.

Just a thought and something that I over looked..

Willys

I agree with Willys, I also started out with a lesser tripod and promptly returned it for a very good tripod and solid head. You cannot see anything when the scope is shaking like a leaf. The carbon fiber isn't any better than than the metal ones, just lighter so its easier to pack all day.:)

If you are like me you have many rifle scopes and some rifles just dont need a $1500 scope and others do, but you only need ONE spotting scope so why not buy the best one time and enjoy it a lifetime????????????

Before I bought my Nikon I researched scopes quite a bit. Birdwatchers seem to be the authority on spotting scopes so thats where I got most of my info. The birdwatching references and websites I found consider the Fieldscope III ED to be one of the very best, achieving similar scores in reviews as the Swaro 20-60x65 HD and the Leica Televid (at about twice the price!) The birdwatching tests involve seeing very fine detail (small birds) at long ranges. As far as the angled vs. straight, get what you like and feel more comfortable with....I have no problem getting on target with the angled eye-piece and find it easier to use when glassing for hours at a time, and its also nicer to use at the range.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I have been looking @ tripods and will purchase the best light weight one I can afford.

Uncle B, I understand your logic. However, since deciding to get involved in long range hunting 2 months ago I have purchased, 2 scopes, 1 new gun that is on it's way to Shawn Carlock, all my reloading equipment and components, ballistic software, hand held pc, shooting rests, kestrel, chronograph, custom bore guides, Shawns long range hunting class and 3 plane tickets to Idaho. Now a spotting scope. It isn't worth arguing with my wife right now. She has been very gracious not to say anything up to this point and she probably wants to spend some money herself. If I feel the need to upgrade my scope in a couple years I'll do that. Again I undrstand your logic but compromise in my house goes a long way.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I have been looking @ tripods and will purchase the best light weight one I can afford.

Uncle B, I understand your logic. However, since deciding to get involved in long range hunting 2 months ago I have purchased, 2 scopes, 1 new gun that is on it's way to Shawn Carlock, all my reloading equipment and components, ballistic software, hand held pc, shooting rests, kestrel, custom bore guides, Shawns long range hunting class and 3 plane tickets to Idaho. Now a spotting scope. It isn't worth arguing with my wife right now. She has been very gracious not to say anything up to this point and she probably wants to spend some money too. If I feel the need to upgrade my scope in a couple years I'll do that. Again I undrstand your logic but compromise in my house goes a long way.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.