Spotting scope opinions

I have a Celestron Regal M2 80ED which I got for frequent flyer miles. I'm not impressed with the Optics. My NF BEAST scope on 25 power does just about as well at the shooting range. The 100mm Celestron may or may not have improved clarity over the 80ED but I after hauling both the 80mm Celestron and a rifle up the ridge behind the house there is no way I would consider carrying a 100mm spotting scope solo hunting.

I will probably end up letting the grandkids play practice astronomy with the Celestron 80 ED I have and get a better spotting scope for hunting this next year.

The leopold 12-40x60 can be found used for your budget,Id like one with TMR reticle for spotting shots.Mines old and was $ 600+ new.They are compact and about 32 oz.You see guys on outdoor shows using them alot because they are good size for hunting Shocky always has one out.I have real nice Kowa 74 with 20-60 and 30 wide but very large and use leo 90%,have a smaller scope also.The Kowa is much better on high mag but you dont use the top as much as what you think,I pan on 12-20 then zoom in.

I am so confused on what to get. I read a lot of reviews about the celestron M2 scopes and read some great ones and very poor ones. So I don't know what to do there

Today I looked through a vortex diamondback, viper hd, leupold ventana, Nikon Prostaff and a few others at cabelas. Now granted I was only able to look across the store with them at some pictures on the wall. The Nikon, diamondback, and some others were poor. The viper hd and leupold ventana were the clearest of the bunch that I looked through. I kinda got rushed by the mrs. Next time I go back I'll see if they'll let me look from the front of the store. There's some mountains about 600-800 yards away. Be a much more precise comparison of clarity than 125 yards indoors.

There is a gold ring 12-40x60 Leopold for sale right now in classifieds here $650,guy might take less,looks perfect.Used mine for years of hard use and still do,there around $1000 now

Read thru all of this...

If I were the OP, in this case, I would seriously consider the Zen-Ray at Cameraland. That is by far the best bang for your dollar and you will probably love it. By once cry once. Save, do whatever it takes. The scope on Cameraland was $100 lower than anywhere else I saw, is a real step up in quality over anything else you have been looking at, and is only $100 over you budget. Plus Zen-Ray has a 30 day money back guarantee, so you can't lose.

Zen Ray - CameraLand NY

Get something you would be thrilled to have and use. The others are just adequate and meet the budget. It's a big chunk of change you're getting ready to spend, don't waste it.

Good luck.

I have a angled vortex viper HD 20.60.80mm. They retail anywhere from 650$-850$, depending if someone is running a sale. For the money, it's hard to beat in my opinion. Yes, I would like the Razor HD, but I wouldnt want to spend twice the amount. (I won my spotter)

I previously had a straight vortex nomad 20.60.60mm. After having both angled and straight, I prefer angled.

Camera Land's Deal of the Day There are a few deals floating around here. Their prices are pretty good.

I would like to get a look at a Nighforce/Meopta Spotter.

Won / free is always best IMO. I won a complete KUIU wardrobe last spring and I couldn't be happier. Having said that, If I had to buy the stuff.... No way could I afford it.:D

Price point wise, the Zen-Ray's are much less expensive but Vortex has a better warranty. I would wonder then if the Zen-Ray eyepiece suffers from the same malady as the Vortex.... Locking up below freezing temperatures....( only on late manufactured spotters far as I can ascertain, having tested a 3 year old Razor and a new Razor with the new one locking and the old one not)....

I was using the Zen Ray in 0 degree weather last winter calling fox, & had no trouble. The Vortex eyepiece & Zen Ray are interchangeable, I have the Vortex 30X wide angle & it fits like it's made for it.

Rob

Both are 1.250 apeture. So is the Swaro's eye pieces if you have deep pockets.

I have a preminition that the Razor and the Zen-Ray are brothers....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.