Spotting scope opinions

ShootnMathews

I am looking to get my first spotting scope. I want to get the best I can get for the $ I can afford. I have looked thru a few cheap ones that friends have bought and they are junk in my opinion. So my question is. What is the best quality, and clearest spotter I can get for around $400-600? I know that's not a huge budget but it's what I can afford. I've been leaning towards Vortex. I maybe can go a little more than $600. Possibly up to $700 but my wife will beat me to death with it if I spend much more. We got bills to pay, so. Thanks for all your input in advance.

Another think is, do you recommend a straight or angled? I'm thinking angled because I can keep the tripod lower and I figure for extended use (glassing for animals) it would be much easier on your neck to look down through one than up through one

Again, thanks for the help

I have a angled vortex viper HD 20.60.80mm. They retail anywhere from 650$-850$, depending if someone is running a sale. For the money, it's hard to beat in my opinion. Yes, I would like the Razor HD, but I wouldnt want to spend twice the amount. (I won my spotter)

I previously had a straight vortex nomad 20.60.60mm. After having both angled and straight, I prefer angled.

Camera Land's Deal of the Day There are a few deals floating around here. Their prices are pretty good.

I would like to get a look at a Nighforce/Meopta Spotter.

I'm the opposite, I prefer straight. Reason is.. I use mine with a window mount and an angled spotter sucks on a window mount.

For 600, I'd look hard at a Vortex.

I'm the opposite, I prefer straight. Reason is.. I use mine with a window mount and an angled spotter sucks on a window mount.

For 600, I'd look hard at a Vortex.

Flip,

Some of the newer Vortex offerings has a rotating tripod ring that allows rotation of the eyepiece to a sideways position—most useful for viewing through an angled spotting scope body on a car window mount.

Cheers!

Ed

I'll keep that in mind myself. Be getting a Razor sometime this year..... Time to retire my ancient B&L, Made in Amerika spotter.:D

I have the Zeiss FL 65mm straight and my binos are Leica 10x42 RFB's.
My friend has a Vortex spotting scope and I think it's very bright, very clear and think it's an affordable and somewhat comparable spotter to my Zeiss.
The angled eye piece would have been more comfortable for me, but I'm used to it now. One advantage of a straight eye piece might be the ability to line up the scope using line of sight quicker than an angled, and when hunting often times every extra second counts..

I went with the straight this summer for my 80mm Zeiss as was posted because of the line of sight thingy in getting it setup right. I use mine for bird watching mainly and animals when I go to say Yellowstone or wherever.

I wanted a Kowa 66 mm, but other things took a bite out of my spotter stash. I didn't want to wait another season, so bought a Vortex Viper 15-45x65 straight. It's a pile of crap. Already broken before it left the tripod on my front porch glassing elk. Yep, great warranty, and I need it. NEVER another Vortex product, ever, period. I will probably have a NIB Viper for sale shortly. mtmuley

I wanted a Kowa 66 mm, but other things took a bite out of my spotter stash. I didn't want to wait another season, so bought a Vortex Viper 15-45x65 straight. It's a pile of crap. Already broken before it left the tripod on my front porch glassing elk. Yep, great warranty, and I need it. NEVER another Vortex product, ever, period. I will probably have a NIB Viper for sale shortly. mtmuley
What broke on it?

This is a very underrated scope and in your price range.

Bushnell 15-45x60 Elite Spotting Scope | SWFA

That may well be a great spotter but I can't bring myself to get a Bushnell. I have some elite scopes and really like them, but honestly, all of the crappy spotters my friends have had have all been Bushnells. That one being an elite might be great but it's hard to drop cash on one. I will keep it in mind as I do like my elite scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.