Spotting scope opinions

Here's another factor I left out. This will be used for target spotting in practice. Not necessarily to count bullet holes but more tell the shooter where his impact was on the steel or the dirt out to 1000. The scope will also be used for spotting and sizing deer out to possibly 1000 but honestly 95% of the deer spotting will be less than 800. And probably 80% will be less than 600. So taking all of that into account will the 15-60x models do well or will I need the 20-80x models? I'd like to be able to spot a buck at 800 yards and judge the age of the deer and see if it's a 13" wide 8 point, 15" 10 point, or hopefully much bigger. :D. But you get the idea.

Just a touch above your budget, but for me this was a no brainer Zen Ray - CameraLand NY I love mine & have compared it side by side with a friends Razor HD, so far nobody can tell any difference between the two.

Here is the thread that made my mind up for me http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/vortex-vs-zen-ray-92706/

Rob

That looks like a superb spotter but it's too expensive for me. I'd love to have it but unfortunately she'd probably bury it right beside me.

When adjusting the focus wheels on top of the scope, the whole lens inside the body rotates. I can say that the 15-45x65mm HD Viper will do exactly what you describe you need it too. I'd heard the bad reviews and chose to ignore them. Now I'm gunshy, so to speak. Shoulda waited and bought the Kowa. mtmuley

That may well be a great spotter but I can't bring myself to get a Bushnell. I have some elite scopes and really like them, but honestly, all of the crappy spotters my friends have had have all been Bushnells. That one being an elite might be great but it's hard to drop cash on one. I will keep it in mind as I do like my elite scopes.
Elite vs there low end stuff is nothing similar. Just an FYI.

The upper end Alpens are also way underrated. I have used many of their binocs and still use their apex for my main carry pair. They are fantastic and mind blowing when the price is factored in.

There spotters are very good for the price and I'm not just talking they're rainier series. The rainiers are SWEET!

I have a real old leo 12-45x60 non hd, beat up use the heck out of this scope size is handy.I have a kowa 77mm nice to use favor the 30x wide but the leo get 2x the use.Can find them used for your budget

Check the classifieds on different forums for some good deals.
I bought lightly used year old razor for around $800 and so far it has been great.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Has anyone used the leupold sx1 Ventana scopes? I see those are at a decent price. Leupold is usually decent stuff. Just wondering what those are like. I can't afford the best scope but I don't want junk either. If I can count the points on a rack easy and field judge animals at 800 yards it will fill my needs

Not that I have an issue with Carl Zeiss, but if you compare the Celestron Regal HD to a Zeiss with comparable parameters, the Celestron is dirt cheap.

Besides, very few spotters have a 100mm objective lens. The bigger the objective is, the better low light transmission you have.

Hell, I'd prefer a Swaro but I don't have that kind of jack to toss around. I have other priorities, like farm equipment.

Outta my league too. I have mad money, just not that much....

The Celestron Regal M2 is 600 bucks and has a bigger objective than all of them. I learned a long time ago, the bigger the objective, the better the image capability.

I have a couple American made Bushnell (Bausch and Lomb) American ground glass... a rarity today... spotters that are very clear and lightweight but only go to 30x on the objective. Good for 500 yards.

I might consider selling one. Don't need 2.

I've had a leupold kenai for a couple years now. It's been a pretty good optic for what I paid. I got the angled version. It also comes with 2 eye pieces which I really like. 25-60 & 30 extra wide.

I've since bought a vortex razor neoprene cover for it (which fit surprisingly well) and a phone skope. I took it to Wyoming last year on a high country mule deer hunt and it did everything I needed it to do.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you it outperforms this, or runs right along side this, etc etc because the only other unit I've tested it along side was my guides Swarovski EL. It's like any optic, you get what you pay for and the EL was much better. Especially in low light and overall crisp edge to edge clarity.

I paid $600 used for mine on ebay a few years back and I feel it's been a pretty good unit so far given what I paid. It may have been used but was in immaculate condition.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts