Scope for Predators

sdkidaho

I have a new Weatherby in .257, sitting naked, waiting for a scope. I intend to use it for predator hunting - wolves, coyotes, etc...

I prefer something with MOA rather than Mils.

Ranges being shot will vary from 100 yards on out to 6-800 yards? I'm thinking I'll be shooting 110gr Nosler Accubonds in this rifle.

What would you guys suggest I take a look at, scope wise? Not sure on price range - I may decide to cough up $1500+ but will certainly look at scopes even bellow $500.

Thanks - Darby

Ive taken a liking to Ziess Conquest lineup ( 6.5-20X) and they run "about" $900

I used to think the sun rose and set with Leupold...but have since went Ziess.

I just put together my first dedicated coyote rig, and on a budget too. I opted for the Vortex PST 2.5-10X44 Illuminated reticule EBR-MOA. Life time warranty, MOA reticle/MOA turrets, 30mm tube. I paid $700 CAD for it and I would think it would be cheaper in the States. For out to 700 yards I cant think of a better scope for the money. I like it as much as my Leupold Mark 4.

If you want a couple extra X's the PST line goes up to a 5-20X50 i think. they also have FFP models that are under $1000. I dont feel the need for FFP because the SFP scopes have a positive stop on each power setting that you can use with your reticule, A feature that I was very impresses with. All in all I feel that they are a very well thought out scope.

I have heard great things about the Nikon's too, but no first hand experience.

I agree that MOA reticle is the way to go for small targets like predators. I started using mils in the early 90's, but quickly switched to Nightforces' moa reticles.

They allow us to use the reticle for shot placement easily out to 600 yds without ever dialing the scope knobs. In addition, if it's too cold or foggy or snowy for the rangefinder to work, MOA reticles are easier and quicker to range with (especially on small targets like coyotes).

The Zeiss conquest optics are very good. The Sightrons adjustments are very good, but the optical quality goes to Zeiss IMO. If weight isn't so much of an issue, then the Nightforce 3.5-15X50 is a superb scope. The Huskemaws' seem to have good optics also.

I just got a deal on some Millet LRS long range 35 mm scopes. I bought all they had for the price and have an extra if you want it. I thought I could use them on my varmint rifles and if a guy wanted one I would have an extra. Look at their website and see if you like it. It is the best I found for the price. They are 6-25x56mm with a very nice varmint reticle. The standard reticle is $379 and the illuminated reticle is $399 if you want one. That is what I paid for them. They come with 35mm rings.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.