6x47 for Predators

augnmike

I am getting ready to have a custom rifle built for predators and am looking for a caliber.

The first gunsmith I went to said that in his opinion the 6x47 or 6x45 are the best all around predator calibers period.

He says they offer very low recoil, easy and cheap to load for, shoot relatively large bullets at decent speeds (3100-3500), is fur friendly, can be used for small to medium deer/pigs at ranges up to 200 yards and less, has a very long barrel life, and is extremely accurate.

I hunt in California and the majority of my shooting is under 200 yards with the occasional 300-350 shot being presented. I don't shoot that far except very rarely since frankly I'm not that good.

Any thoughts on this caliber for coyotes and bobcats? I know the trend has been to fast "flatter" rounds and in fact I have two .204's one fat one for varmints and one light carry Savage. So that should probably come into play in my decision as well. Wildcats are not a problem since I do enjoy reloading and for coyote and bobcats I'm not burning through too many rounds in a season anyway.

Are you shooting coyotes and bobcats for the pelts or as varmints. The only "fur friendly" 6mm's I've seen were ones launching 55gr Ballistic tips at around 4300fps and the bullet most of the time woulden't exit but when it did their was a mess , I've seen coyotes shot with the 75gr Vmax out of 6mmBR to a 6mm-06Ai and in all cases the bullets exited and made a mess.
I would say that the 6-47 would be a good choice for varmints and smaller deer out to probably 400yds as from what I understand it and the 243 are close in ballistics. The 243 buy the way is a great choice and in the Ackley improved version would make an awsome long range varmint round and deer to about as far as most are willing to shoot and their is alot of factory ammo out their.

For a person to say that one round is more accurate than another in a hunting rifle is bogus ,it boils down to the builder doing his job right and the owner making sure that the reloads are good and the shooting form and function are all correct. You can take a world record setting BR rifle and but a brand new inexperianced shooter behind it and it probably won't shoot any better than a $400 Savage but take the world record setting shooter and put him behind a $400 Savage and he'll likly make it shine.
if your shooting world class bench rest then maybe a smith can say that one round is more accurate than another but your talking about goups that are seperated by thousandths of and inch

Good points, I have seen a few yotes shot with the round and it didn't do a lot of damage, don't know why. Anyway seems like this may be a good choice for me.

Have no fear of commiting to a 6x45 or 6mm-223 as it is also known.

I have one built on a Sako Vixen action with 24" ss Douglas barrell w 0,63" dia at muzzle. It's a trim little rifle weighing in at 7,7 lbs w everything, plain rifle is 6,3 lbs. I asked the 'smith to balance the rifle about the recoil lug, and the result is a lightweight that handles like a target rifle. It's been a real eye-opener for myself and others as just about any decent shot is able to group 2-3"@300 yds with it.

Reloading is simple, necking up new Winchester 223 brass w no fireforming. Shooting 85gr'ish bullets at about 2720 fps and have shoot a good number of roe deer with this out to ranges of 440yds. It's perfect for 250yds, watch your placement beyond.

Have now loaded Nosler 70gr Ballistic tip at 3215 fps and will try this out; it offers the same Bc/winddrift as my 85gr'ish bullets and significant increase in velocity.
Not interested in shooting lighter bullets, lose punch and "pinpoint-ability" due to poor Bc and increased winddrift. No problems shooting targets at 550 yds, but have not tried game at this range.

Sierra 85gr Gameking, Hornady 87gr HP or Vmax if you want the heavy bullets. Lapua 90gr if you want FMJ. With bullets lighter than 70gr'ish or Bc lower than 0,29 I feel you are wasting the potential of the 6x45 and might as well go for an ordinary 223.

Sierra22, I will pm you about loads as I am interested in working up some loads for his rifle for coyotes. These animals weigh in at an average of about 25 lbs where I hunt. They can be tough animals, don't get me wrong but we kill them decisively with .204's and 39 grain bullets at ranges of 300 yards and slightly beyond. Typically our shots are under 150 yards though since the challenge of the sport is to call them as close as possible.

I do some depredation work on coyotes on several ranches and in those cases we shoot 'em where we find 'em and that can mean long shots. I think the round for me will be either the 70 gr Nosler or I am hearing that the 65 gr V-Max might be good for predators as well, but I would be curious as to your opinions.

In a perfect world I will be able to shoot the 65 and 70 for predators getting the velocity I want but whatever barrel I put on this rifle would also shoot a larger "deer" sized round too. That way if I want to take a deer or a pig with this rifle, let's say within 200 yards I can. I would merely put the appropriate adjustments on the Nightforce NXS scope I am planning to mount on this rifle.

Any advice on barrel twist or loads?

Allow a little confusion to the enemy.
I think that augnmike is talking about the 6x47 a necked up 222 Rem Mag. and James Jones is talking about the 6x47 Lapua a necked down 6.5x47 Lapua.
Now given the choices between the 6x45 (223 necked up to 6mm) and a 6x47 (222RM necked up to 6mm) I would go with the 6x45 because of the cheaper and abundant brass.
For a long time I had considered building a 6x45 for a benchrest rifle but in the end I have decided to go with a 6mm Talldog (6mmBR .100 short).
Now having said all that I believe given your goals for this rifle the 6mmBR Norma (Lapua brass) would also be an excellent choice for what you want to do.

James

Mike, I sent you a PM, sorry soooo late. Send me an e-mail, I would like to here a little more about your project.

Jake

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts