Scope Decision

I have a v6 and the x5. The x5 is better in every way.
I used to sell Swaro, Zeiss, and Kahles (and most other major brands). To me, the Swaro was never worth the extra dough. I also used to sell S&B, and thought they were ridiculously overpriced for what you get. Everyone has different eyes.

I used to sell Swaro, Zeiss, and Kahles (and most other major brands). To me, the Swaro was never worth the extra dough. I also used to sell S&B, and thought they were ridiculously overpriced for what you get. Everyone has different eyes.

That may be but optics charts do not lie. Glass quality is close between the two. Glass quality is not at the top of my list when considering a scope. Tracking, reticle, and turrets are what matters most. Obviously reticles are very personal and turrets to some extent.

That may be but optics charts do not lie. Glass quality is close between the two. Glass quality is not at the top of my list when considering a scope. Tracking, reticle, and turrets are what matters most. Obviously reticles are very personal and turrets to some extent.
I agree completely. But everyone always talks about glass quality to justify spending the extra money on a specific name brand, over a lesser-expensive name brand. Those same folks don't ever talk about the important stuff, like what you just mentioned, the turrets, reticle, tracking, etc...

I agree completely. But everyone always talks about glass quality to justify spending the extra money on a specific name brand. Those same folks don't ever talk about the important stuff, like what you just mentioned, the turrets, reticle, tracking, etc...

I am with you. If the scope is not broke(durability) and I can put a reticle on it(tracking) I can kill an animal. I do like glass but it just is not as important as people want it to be.

Last edited:
I am with you. If the scope is not broke(durably) and I can put a reticle on it(tracking) I can kill an animal. I do like glass but it just is not as important as people want it to be.
Exactly! If you got the cheese, go for it, but just because it costs more, doesn't automatically make it better quality than something that costs less.

Last edited:
Nightforce all the way. Look around for a demo from the different optics places. They are usually 10-15% less than list.

https://www.gunwerks.com/store/optics/mark5-3-6-18x44

The new Leupold Mark 5 from GunWerks. I have the mil version for my hunting scope, looks like the MOA version is a GunWerks exclusive. I think Leupold finally picked up the clue phone and came out with a scope that hits the mark on a lot of levels. Capped windage, solid turrets, useable reticle. Usually the GunWerks crew utilizes equipment that works and it seems like this would be a great long range hunting scope.

There's rumors of a Mark 5 in MOA coming out this year, after extensive research on them the 5-25 seems to be a better option and they are holding their own in the optical and mechanical department with much more expensive scopes. Mile high shooters had a pretty good sale on them for awhile but I can't confirm if they still are. I get military pricing with Leupold though and tried to get them to sell me the Gunwerks version and they weren't having it. :D Guess I'm waiting a couple more weeks for the Shot Show to see what the come out with.

I love my night force nxs 5.5-20x50. Moa. I've only shot to 800 yards but was limited on the range. It's so nice and the clicks are very direct with a zero stop. You will love it. Weights a bit at around 30oz.

I've had quite a few different scopes and have settled on the NF ATACR series. You can find the 4-16 F1 used in the $2k range. They are bulletproof, track well and are mil/mil or moa/moa. The glass is very good. I'll take the dependability over the best glass possible any day. It's not like the NF glass is sub-par.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.