School me on weatherbies

Hope you have deep pockets, ammo and components are stupid expensive for anything in a weatherby chamber.
Meh, the only components that are different than any other round is the cases. Ammo, yes it's pretty pricey and do are new cases but if you buy the basic weatherby ammo it's cheaper than a box of new empty cases, at least it was for my 257 wby. Shoot those to get familiar with rifle and start reloading.

Weatherby Mark V bolt - extractor
(Shorter 3-lug bolt throw - lift than 2-lug. - Better for dangerous game.)

Weatherby-Mark-V-Dangerous-Game-Rifle-Bolt.jpg

Weatherby Vanguard (2-lug) bolt - extractor
(I like these better than the Remington 700 extractor.)

aussiehunter-Vanguard-bolt-is-shrouded-and-has-a-robust-claw-extractor.jpg

Last edited:
I've been shooting a 300 Wby for about 25 years, it's in a Rem 700. I have a safe full of guns, if I could only keep one it'd be the 300. Every animal I've ever shot at with that rifle has died. You won't regret buying a 300 wby!

have a line on a perfect mark 5 in 300 westherby, stainless fluted barrel, what looks to be a bell and carson stock. Doesnt look to have any use. It has a 3-9 vx2 on it as well. They will take 1150. Seems like a great deal. It's very light so i'm sure its a recoil heavy rig. Do i need it ? No. But i think it would be a very nice addition to my gun locker. Currently i have a 6.5 swede, 7mm rem mag and a 30/06. The 7 mag is very heavy. Love the bolt lift on the weatherby. I would be handloading for it. Please chime in. Thanx
Nothin wrong with that. Question is, is it chambered in 300 Weatherby? Weatherby made rifles is different calibers. See if it says 300 Weatherby or 300 WM.

have a line on a perfect mark 5 in 300 westherby, stainless fluted barrel, what looks to be a bell and carson stock. Doesnt look to have any use. It has a 3-9 vx2 on it as well. They will take 1150. Seems like a great deal. It's very light so i'm sure its a recoil heavy rig. Do i need it ? No. But i think it would be a very nice addition to my gun locker. Currently i have a 6.5 swede, 7mm rem mag and a 30/06. The 7 mag is very heavy. Love the bolt lift on the weatherby. I would be handloading for it. Please chime in. Thanx

Hi, I own three Weatherby Mark V Rifles, a .270 Weatherby Mag; new from 1973 and a 300 Weatherby Mag, used from 1982 , and a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight in.270 Win, my favorite Deer Rifle ,purchase used in 2011. All are scoped with Leupold Vari X three scopes. Dual Dovetail Bases and Magna Port on the .300 Weath. Mag . These rifles are beautiful to look at and shoot extremely well. These I think these are excellent rifle, High quality Fit and finish , with Hi Velocity rounds that are excellent hunting rounds. I hand load for all of them! I have taken game with these rifle with my handloads, and I am completely pleased with the results. Both Mag Rifles have the Weatherby #2 Barrel, 26 inch. many of the rounds have been reloaded 6 times, and still look great. I use IMR 4350 and H 4831 with Fed 215 Mag Primers. Hi Quality Brass, separated by .5 Grain weight. I have loaded the .300 Weath. mag, down to .300 Win Mag velocities, with perfectly acceptable hunting accuracy. Proper Pilar Bedding and a professional trigger job will be helpful. My 2 cents !! Enjoy your fine Big game rifle!!!A bit much for whitetail deer, fine for all North American Big game, and African Plains Game. Lenny

Hi, I own three Weatherby Mark V Rifles, a .270 Weatherby Mag; new from 1973 and a 300 Weatherby Mag, used from 1982 , and a Weatherby Mark V Ultralight in.270 Win, my favorite Deer Rifle ,purchase used in 2011. All are scoped with Leupold Vari X three scopes. Dual Dovetail Bases and Magna Port on the .300 Weath. Mag . These rifles are beautiful to look at and shoot extremely well. These I think these are excellent rifle, High quality Fit and finish , with Hi Velocity rounds that are excellent hunting rounds. I hand load for all of them! I have taken game with these rifle with my handloads, and I am completely pleased with the results. Both Mag Rifles have the Weatherby #2 Barrel, 26 inch. many of the rounds have been reloaded 6 times, and still look great. I use IMR 4350 and H 4831 with Fed 215 Mag Primers. Hi Quality Brass, separated by .5 Grain weight. I have loaded the .300 Weath. mag, down to .300 Win Mag velocities, with perfectly acceptable hunting accuracy. Proper Pilar Bedding and a professional trigger job will be helpful. My 2 cents !! Enjoy your fine Big game rifle!!!A bit much for whitetail deer, fine for all North American Big game, and African Plains Game. Lenny

Just a thought from an old man. I have 3 weatherbies 2 in 257 1 in 22-250 and use the less expensive ammo for varmints and the like. I use the more expensive ammo for hunting. Use the brass to reload nosler partions when needed. I am fortunate to have Chambers that work well for neck sizing. Try it you may be surprised. Also some folks just seem to not like Weatherbies I reckon cause they beat everything else in speed for the last 70 years or so. Others are just now catching up. Mark fives are extremely strong actions Enjoy your gun sir. Need to ask question some time let know. Tribb

mark 5 in 300 westherby, stainless fluted barrel, what looks to be a bell and carson stock. It's very light so i'm sure its a recoil heavy rig.

Others have said Accumark, but to me it sounds like an Ultra Lightweight. There is a 2-3 pound difference between them, which is notable. If it's light, it's not an Accumark. Post a picture, or measure the diameter at the muzzle.

And yes, I would then suggest a muzzle brake if it's an Ultra Lightweight. You don't have to, but without one you'll notice it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.