Please school me on Nitriding

engineer40

I have a plethora of questions about nitriding barrels that I'm hoping you guys can help with! :)

Nitriding has been offered now for a while. At this point is there a consensus opinion if it is worth it or not to extend barrel life on varmint and magnum cartridges?

Are nitriding, meloniting, QPQ, and salt bath nitriding all the same thing or are there differences?

What's the current going price to have this done? Most of the pricing I see online was posted between 2010-2012 time frame.

Why do the companies that do the nitriding state to fire 20-50 shots on a new barrel, then take it back off to mail it in for the nitriding? Is this only for us to make sure the barrel works as intended before it is hardened?

Do you know of any companies that perform this nitriding service that also have an FFL if in case I wanted to send in a receiver+barrel combo on one of my rifles?

Any issues nitriding stainless? I'm not worried about the color change.

Who are the main players doing quality nitriding jobs?

Any companies to stay away from?

Also obviously I'll need to work with a company who is willing to work with an individual. Not just the large manufacturers.

And in general any personal experiences you're willing to share are appreciated. Thanks! I'm looking forward to your responses.

Anybody know these answers? Interesting question. I'm guessing the OP may not care, but I'd be interested…

I'm especially interested in why precision barrels aren't nitrided, but many AR barrels are.

After 6 years of hunting and several hundred shots, my CVA muzzleloader still looks brand new. Inside and out.
The only experience I have with nitride.

I know the shoot it is to break it in. If they coat it before shooting there will be no way to get the coating to be uniform if you blow off all the burs after.

I understand the hard part is getting 100% of the fouling out before coating.

Nitriding is essentially a thin case hardening procedure. The reason any of the heat/cold treatments require shooting first is to burnish in the bore/throat.
I like cryo myself, it tends to stress relieve a lot better. I just had my new 270 Bee barrel done. Going out with a few rifles to test out this coming week now that lockdown is over.

Cheers.

Nitriding is essentially a thin case hardening procedure. The reason any of the heat/cold treatments require shooting first is to burnish in the bore/throat.
I like cryo myself, it tends to stress relieve a lot better. I just had my new 270 Bee barrel done. Going out with a few rifles to test out this coming week now that lockdown is over.

Cheers.

Who did you use for the Cryo. job?

Recent Posts