School me on Suppressors?

another question. How does the suppressor compare to barrel length for velocity increase? I hear they increase velocity wondering how much for a 7" say with 22" barrel?

another question. How does the suppressor compare to barrel length for velocity increase? I hear they increase velocity wondering how much for a 7" say with 22" barrel?

I've heard of this but I've never seen it. The number I've usually seen associated with "free bore boost" as some have called it is maybe 25 ft/sec. I wouldn't count on getting any speed bump, and you're always better off running say a 22 inch barrel with a 5 inch suppressor than a 18 inch barrel with a 9 inch suppressor. Truth be told if you look at the trends I bet you are better off suppression wise too. Silencershop was metering a 16 inch CM initially and virtually none of the suppressors were giving a comfortable/safe level of suppression.

What he said. I have 3 cans and the ONLY one that is safe to shoot w/o ear protection is my CZ 512 with SUBSONICS ! Sound like an air rifle.

cz512-1.jpg

You may want to look at the silencer harvester. It has a break on the end of the can. I have one for my 7mag, and the recoil reduction is very noticeable. I would rate it at a hair above a 243 win's recoil. I'm not sure how it compares to the other top brands having never got to use any, but I am very pleased with it and wish I got into cans sooner. I'll bet you will have a similar experience.

20" 1:7.5" 6.5SS, just assembled today. Will be running a TBAC Ultra 7....and a different EH1 when Manners decides to finish it.
View attachment 182666
You may want to look at the silencer harvester. It has a break on the end of the can. I have one for my 7mag, and the recoil reduction is very noticeable. I would rate it at a hair above a 243 win's recoil. I'm not sure how it compares to the other top brands having never got to use any, but I am very pleased with it and wish I got into cans sooner. I'll bet you will have a similar experience.
With the break on the end of the harvester how loud does this make it compare to just the can?

With the break on the end of the harvester how loud does this make it compare to just the can?
It is really quiet. I don't have a DB meter, but I can't tell the difference on my 223 ai compared to my Yankee hill turbo. Both cans make the 223 have basically no recoil, but that isn't saying much with that round. I've run subsonics in that rifle for coon hunting, and can tell you that will put a smile on your face. BB gun quiet.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.