School me on weatherbies

Weatherby makes a nice rifle, and the accumark is very nice. 300 weatherby is an awesome chambering for the hand loader. I agree a vari-x 2 is a little off in class for that rifle so may need to budget in a new one, but it will be fine if not. As far as kick...shoot more and you will acclimate(my choice) or install a brake. At $1100 it's good deal if gun is in condition you suggest.

have a line on a perfect mark 5 in 300 westherby, stainless fluted barrel, what looks to be a bell and carson stock. Doesnt look to have any use. It has a 3-9 vx2 on it as well. They will take 1150. Seems like a great deal. It's very light so i'm sure its a recoil heavy rig. Do i need it ? No. But i think it would be a very nice addition to my gun locker. Currently i have a 6.5 swede, 7mm rem mag and a 30/06. The 7 mag is very heavy. Love the bolt lift on the weatherby. I would be handloading for it. Please chime in. Thanx
I
have a line on a perfect mark 5 in 300 westherby, stainless fluted barrel, what looks to be a bell and carson stock. Doesnt look to have any use. It has a 3-9 vx2 on it as well. They will take 1150. Seems like a great deal. It's very light so i'm sure its a recoil heavy rig. Do i need it ? No. But i think it would be a very nice addition to my gun locker. Currently i have a 6.5 swede, 7mm rem mag and a 30/06. The 7 mag is very heavy. Love the bolt lift on the weatherby. I would be handloading for it. Please chime in. Thanx
i have three weatherbys, 30-378,270mag (Accumarks),223 (Vanguard)and they are really good rifles. Going to buy a 6.5-300. The actions are some of the best I own.

I love my 300 Weatherby. With all the new cartridges out, I think it is still a top contender for 30 caliber performance and about at the tipping point of where when you go further reaching the point of diminishing returns.

I love the Weatherby actions. Short lift, smooth slide and ultra strong, few, if any, are better. Unfortunately, I don't like Weatherby cartridges. I hunted with a .300 Wby. for years and took some impressive animals at long range but when I bought a .300 Win. - with the same length barrel - and found it would achieve the same velocities with less kick and a shorter action, I changed. Still, at that price, it may be worth it.

My two sons hunt with Weatherby rifles. MY youngest has a .300 like you are
thinking about buying and my oldest has a .340 MK5. Both guns have brakes
and are both ***** cats to shoot. They are loud. Both are very accurate. Hunting
accuracy, easy inch at 100 yds. My oldest son has shot just about everything in
N. America with the .340 and nothing he shot ran away wounded. He shot all the
bears except a Polar Bear and has a grand slam on sheep.
Zeke

My hunting buddy has an old Mk.5 and it has some beautiful wood with those dark end caps. He's killed a bunch of deer with it!
I remember as a kid visiting a friend one weekend before the start of elk season his dad showing me a weatherbee ,the most beautiful wood stock I have ever seen. Awesome wood.

I have one of the original Fibermarks with the solid recoil pad, and that thing will smack you. When hunting you don't even notice it though. For the bench I bought a Past shoulder pad and it makes a HUGE difference. I can shoot a box or more at a session and not have any ill affects. Prior to that I would have a deep bruise after 5 or 6 shots. I'm not recoil sensitive, but when you get deep tissue bruising you aren't going to be shooting your best. Get a Past or similar.

I love the Weatherby actions. Short lift, smooth slide and ultra strong, few, if any, are better. Unfortunately, I don't like Weatherby cartridges. I hunted with a .300 Wby. for years and took some impressive animals at long range but when I bought a .300 Win. - with the same length barrel - and found it would achieve the same velocities with less kick and a shorter action, I changed. Still, at that price, it may be worth it.

Same length action, COAL: WBY=3.56" Winnie=3.340 and a .300 Winnie will NEVER achieve .300 WBY velocities with ANY bullet weight! Simple physics. WBY=100.4 gr H2O Winnie= 91.5 gr H2O, average. So, "Mo powder Mo speed"...

Go for it. Love mine. Get a better scope. There are recoil options with pads, brakes, inserts, etc. Enjoy it. I find good prices on brass at gun shows, etc.

30 years ago I built 3 very light weight 300 Wby on milled out 700mag actions with Brown Precision Kevlar stocks and microline breaks and recoil systems. With 25" barrels and 2x8 leupold scopes in Control mounts they weighted 6#11oz
Gave the left hand one to my brother and one of the right handers to my best friend! I kept the other and have shot a lot of elk, 3 moose, a bighorn, 3 bears and 5 Caribou with mine! Shot Bitterroot and Barns bullerts in it! It's now retired to the Vault with a lot of fond memories.
Barrel looks pretty worn and I have no idea on round count.
Built an identical 375 Mashburn at virtually same weight and yes recoil is fairly stiff from both!
The 300 Wby is an iconic cartridge and everyone should own one!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.