School me on weatherbies

have a line on a perfect mark 5 in 300 westherby, stainless fluted barrel, what looks to be a bell and carson stock. Doesnt look to have any use. It has a 3-9 vx2 on it as well. They will take 1150. Seems like a great deal. It's very light so i'm sure its a recoil heavy rig. Do i need it ? No. But i think it would be a very nice addition to my gun locker. Currently i have a 6.5 swede, 7mm rem mag and a 30/06. The 7 mag is very heavy. Love the bolt lift on the weatherby. I would be handloading for it. Please chime in. Thanx
I have the 300 Weatherby Accumark. Love it I wore my first 300 out and this is my second. If you are going to handload for a belted Weatherby ignore the belt and head space on the shoulder. Once I did that decades ago all the case separations disappeared. I use Redding dies and their competition shell holders to control headspace. Normally I can get away with neck sizing for a few times. I never used a brake on my 300s.The new accumark has a great recoil pad. I just shoot it till I am out of ammo. Recoil to me on the 300 is not a problem. It is a lot of fun for me to shoot it.

Can't go wrong with a weatherby. I have 3 300's. 1 Vanguard stainless, 1 accumark, and 1 stainless Mark V that I put a Proof Research composite barrel on! My favorite out of the 3 is the one with the composite barrel. I put a leupold vx6hd 4-24x52. The rifle rocks and so does that leupold. I reload and mainly stick to weatherby brass.

have a line on a perfect mark 5 in 300 westherby, stainless fluted barrel, what looks to be a bell and carson stock. Doesnt look to have any use. It has a 3-9 vx2 on it as well. They will take 1150. Seems like a great deal. It's very light so i'm sure its a recoil heavy rig. Do i need it ? No. But i think it would be a very nice addition to my gun locker. Currently i have a 6.5 swede, 7mm rem mag and a 30/06. The 7 mag is very heavy. Love the bolt lift on the weatherby. I would be handloading for it. Please chime in. Thanx
Remember, if it is a factory Weatherby barrel it likely has a long freebore, so hand loads will be hard to get near the lands so handloading I'd try bullets that like to be far off the lands or bullets that tend to be agnostic on jump distance. Berger VLDs will some times prefer a big jump and they are made to fly long and hit hard. Good luck with your new acquisition.

Bud's has one 7mm mag for around $1200, most of the other guns are between 15-1900. The 300 Wthby mag is $1700+. It seems thats a good deal. You can sell the scope (or keep it if you want).
I've been looking for a 460 Wtby for 30 years just for "S and G's". For blowing stuff up! Doesn't look like I will be hunting Africa or AK any time soon. I turned down a Japanese made Mark V for about $1000 probably in the late 90s. Have regretted that sometimes.
FWIW I have a 444 Marlin and a 45/70 Contender for when I get bored. Hee Hee.

I shoot a 300 Wby in a Remington 700 classic made several decades ago. Very accurate and with a muzzle brake, it is not abusive to shoot. Picked up 100+ once fired RP cases a few years ago and still shooting these cases. Not a target or varmint gun but a great deer and elk gun with the 180 Barnes tsx. For me, the brake made it so I could shoot it much better off the bench.

Say the scope is worth $150.? So, $1000 for a very nice long distance cartridge in a very nice, USA made, piece of history. I would get it and regret it later.? And, you could always pass it on...we just rent stuff in this life.

If/when I buy used rifles, I try to get them at a price that I would pay for just the action. Not just Weatherby's.

I like some of the Weatherby's better with custom barrels and chambers-the freebore in some is over the top in my opinion.

That said I'm always on the lookout for a .257, that and a Colt Python are what's left on my bucket list.

I found a used .257 Wby in Accumark V about ten years ago. It is stupid accurate! Most accurate gun I've ever shot. I would never part w/ it. I also have a Colt King Cobra. It's not a Python,but it's a dang nice wheel gun. They are two of my most prized firearms.

OP- I don't think you can go wrong with that purchase.

I have two 300 B's. Both 700 3/4MOA with my first one I put it a BDL stock - RE26 and 200 grain Partitions.
I liked it so much i bought a second one but have not shot it yet.
You'll get a kick out of the 300 B.

Buy it and you'll never regret it. Order Norma brass, 181gr Hammer Hunters and you'll never look back. Call Steve at Hammer and he'll give you a min/max load with specific powder. I bought my first Weatherby in 1988 and have been loyal since. Also, I've just switched (from 180 Barnes TSX) to the 181 Hammer Hunters recently with with just over 2" groups at 700yds out of the 30-378.

Buy it and you'll never regret it. Order Norma brass, 181gr Hammer Hunters and you'll never look back. Call Steve at Hammer and he'll give you a min/max load with specific powder. I bought my first Weatherby in 1988 and have been loyal since. Also, I've just switched (from 180 Barnes TSX) to the 181 Hammer Hunters recently with with just over 2" groups at 700yds out of the 30-378.

What size were your groups with Barnes projectiles?

All Weatherby's are great guns. The .300 Wby is a favorite in Africa and it is easy to reload. Components are easy to come by. Buy it and and use it on North American game. You'll not regret it.
I have 4 Wby's in .460 Wby .300 Wby, .257 Wby and .30-06 Springfield.
The price is a good buy.

What size were your groups with Barnes projectiles?
5"+ at 700yds with the 180 TSX. I'm a newbie to the Hammer Hunters. I've used Barnes for 15 years and was happy with my results with group size and terminal performance. With all of the good reviews I saw about the Hammer Hunters, I decided to give them a try. I received them this Friday and loaded up 10 rounds and shot them yesterday and was blown away. Loaded up 5 more last night .10 shorter in OAL and they shot as well this morning. I've never had that type of consistency in 30 years of loading. Also, I'm dialing in 1.5 less MOA with the 181gr Hammers at 700 yds compared to the 180 TSX.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.