Savage Impulse Hog hunter 300win

Lefty7mmstw

Is anyone working with the Savage Impulse series rifles? Especially the hog hunter in 300win. I just picked one up on a whim in 300win and look forward to working with a straight pull rifle.

Well, I hung a 6.5x-20x Weaver grand slam on her in steel Burris rings. I had to scavenge the scope from a 6.5 creed. I hope Butter Bean doesn't think less of me for that! The plan is to take it out tomorrow with a couple of known 300win loads for initial sight in. I'll do load development if I have to but I suspect the 165 Hornady interlock and rl22 load will shoot as it has in every single rifle that's eaten it.

Last edited:
I'll be interested in reading your report.

I picked up a hog hunter 6.5CM on a whim as well. Haven't shot it yet. Heavy gun, but for my use it doesn't matter.

Fit and finish is far better than any Savage I have seen recently.

Well, we got the rifle on paper this afternoon.
I ran a 1.1" group first group out of the pipe after sighting in using 165 Hdy fb/ 78rl22/215 ww brass that I load for my Browning 300win.
I'd loaded up some Retumbo/ 180 grain test loads but she wasn't really happy so I ditched that plan.
We next tried some 200 eld-x/ 73v565/ 215 in pmc brass I'd loaded for my Browning also. The Savage dumped a .980" and a .997" group with my son and I both shooting it. (100yds)
Keep in mind my Browning is a standard action rifle with a rather short throat. I haven't even checked the throating on the Savage let alone walked a bullet out to the rifling a bit. All ammo was standard oal.. 3.34 to 3.36"
All in all it's (the Savage) a nice/ stable pipe moa out of the box with at least some potential to better that. I wouldn't try for really steamy stuff as the extraction seems about akin to a #1 or pump; possibly an auto. Not really turn bolt beat it open with a hammer territory.
It's going hunting next year to be sure; my son has already fallen in love with the rifle.

Thanks for the great report.

I'll be very happy if mine shoots that well with the first couple loads tried.

I know what you mean about steamy loads. I'm aware they had to design in a mechanism to assist in primary extraction.

Since mine's a 6.5CM for light game hunting, I'll be feeding it factory ammo unless I see a strong reason not to. IMO it's tough to beat the good 6.5CM factory ammo.

I am seriously liking this rifle too, and expect that to continue when I shoot it.

Well, we've got the Impulse 300win shooting quite a bit better lately.
I went to v570 and 200 eld-x pills. We've fired 2 .4 moa groups in a row with it in the last week. It's also tossed a few rounds fouling the barrel that I'm not counting. This rifle seems to like a round or 2 down the hole before she groups.
The load we are running is: ww brass, 200 eld-x bullets, 74 gr. v570, wlrm primers

Last edited:
Man thanks for the follow up. I bought an impulse last fall on a clearance sale from brownells and absolutely love it. I never fired the factory barrel though, got it, pulled the factory tube off (not fun- I believe they're red locktited on so plenty of heat) and put on a proof research I had. Its a blast to shoot!

Man thanks for the follow up. I bought an impulse last fall on a clearance sale from brownells and absolutely love it. I never fired the factory barrel though, got it, pulled the factory tube off (not fun- I believe they're red locktited on so plenty of heat) and put on a proof research I had. Its a blast to shoot!
I'm not sure we are ever going to mod. this rifle at all. It shoots well as it sits and my eldest son has commandeered it already. I wouldn't mind finding another one in 300win but it seems they are either 600-700 bucks or 1500 bucks for 1 of these rifles, depending on model and who has it.

I'm not sure we are ever going to mod. this rifle at all. It shoots well as it sits and my eldest son has commandeered it already. I wouldn't mind finding another one in 300win but it seems they are either 600-700 bucks or 1500 bucks for 1 of these rifles, depending on model and who has it.
It's hard to change something that works. My 6mm ackley reamer finally came in so my factory 243 barrel is about to get rechambered for a fire form barrel! I wish they'd make extensions commercially available, I'd like the rifle even more.

Recent Posts