Savage Impulse builds?

Stopped by a Cabela's while traveling and handled an impulse. Was so impressed I ordered one from brownells in the parking lot! Have a proof research prefit in 243 to start the build. Might rechamber the factory barrel and check function before I commit to recutting the proof.

Ambi bolt handle, but still a RH port. If I had my druthers, it'd be a RH bolt, LH port.
Yes, the ambidextrous feature refers to the ability for left-hand or right-hand use, not the port's location, and in response to your post below.
It's very tempting, but it doesn't come in LH configuration,
It is not on Impulse, but Savage makes an RH bolt with dual port action. Cheers!

There are a lot of innovations in that action. I am a big Savage fan and have built many using their action, except for the Impulse, but it is on my list. If you want it and it meets your preference/price point, go for it. I would not pay attention to what others think or the sales projections.

Yep! Nothing/no one is safe/immune to negativity.
I'm not a fan of them constantly changing stuff which really hurts their aftermarket support but I LOVE how they shoot. My Savage 4.4" in .308 is my most accurate rifle and it's also my cheapest. To top it off, it still has the factory barrel and a cheap stock that I bedded. It consistently shoots 3 round groups below 1/2" (Most of them are 1/4"- 3/8") at 100yds with factory loaded FGMM. FACTORY LOADED! I will never sell that rifle because it amazes me every time I shoot it. I just wish Stockys would make a Non-Carbon VG2 accublock version for it so I could ditch the current stock.

Last edited:
Yes, the ambidextrous feature refers to the ability for left-hand or right-hand use, not the port's location, and in response to your post below.

It is not on Impulse, but Savage makes an RH bolt with dual port action. Cheers!
Have seen that in their large shank target actions. As it is, I have three LH Savage actions. All my other boltys are RH.
Besides, I have to reserve cash for when i walk into a LGS so I don't leave empty handed.... I stopped in at my favorite store Saturday to buy a Hi Standard 357 consignment, but it had gone back home to it's owner. :-(
Back to the Impulse -- it's intriguing.

I'm not a fan of them constantly changing stuff which really hurts their aftermarket support but I LOVE how they shoot. My Savage 4.4" in .308 is my most accurate rifle and it's also my cheapest. To top it off, it still has the factory barrel and a cheap stock that I bedded. It consistently shoots 3 round groups below 1/2" (Most of them are 1/4"- 3/8") at 100yds with factory loaded FGMM. FACTORY LOADED! I will never sell that rifle because it amazes me every time I shoot it. I just wish Stockys would make a Non-Carbon VG2 accublock version for it so I could ditch the current stock.
I have 6 factory/semi-custom Savage rifles: .300 WM (1), .300 WSM (2), .270 AI (1), .264 WM (1), and .257 WBY (1). They are all shooters. The only change I do not care about is the bottom bolt release (what a PIA).

I have 6 factory/semi-custom Savage rifles: .300 WM (1), .300 WSM (2), .270 AI (1), .264 WM (1), and .257 WBY (1). They are all shooters. The only change I do not care about is the bottom bolt release (what a PIA).
Mine is the bottom bolt release as well. A stock with the ergonomics I want is the only thing keeping it from being my favorite rifle.

I have 1 bottom bolt release as well. Gunsmith can modify action and Savage will sell the correct parts only to an ffl to make it top release. Can also do a Tikka style but requires stock modification and depending on model, may remove a portion of the serial number.

I have 1 bottom bolt release as well. Gunsmith can modify action and Savage will sell the correct parts only to an ffl to make it top release. Can also do a Tikka style but requires stock modification and depending on model, may remove a portion of the serial number.
Yes, I am aware of that option. My GS can modify the bottom bolt release by installing a knurl-type screw/knob without stock modification for easy operation instead of inserting a pin/Allen key.

Yes, I am aware of that option. My GS can modify the bottom bolt release by installing a knurl-type screw/knob without stock modification for easy operation instead of inserting a pin/Allen key.
Got any pics of that mod? Pm me so as not to further derail this thread.

I might just snatch one up and give it a try. Really been wanting to build another 6x284 on a savage short action but the suitable donor rifles I've seen locally will cost me more than this by the time I replace the stock and trigger.
I'd go to a store and work the action a time or two first....not smooth....work best I find if you get your thumb on the back of the bolt to keep it straight going forward. I own 2 both Elite Precision!

I'd be interested in seeing this modification too, and knowing who your GS is that makes the mod.

Post away, I'm intrigued as well. Passed on a model 10 over the impulse because of that pesky bottom bolt release. Besides, figured the extra 200 was worth having the cool new thing.
Basically, any reputable GS with the right equipment can weld a screw on the bottom release lever for a knurl knob (or similar) to screw into. Or thread the lever to screw an extended arm. There was a guy that came up with a stock with a kit anchored on the outside of the stock. Unfortunately, I could no longer find his website; he might have gone out of business during covid .🤬

P.S.

I do not know all the bottom bolt release configuration, but mine is accessed through a slot.

Last edited: