Savage Impulse builds?

Panhandlin Pat

I've been seeing some new Savage Impulses on clearance sales for very attractive prices lately. Just curious if many have built off the platform. I think it would make a slick 6x284! Any feedback would be great.

Interesting. There may be some negative ones I haven`t seen, but the reviews I`ve read have been positive, even on traditionally anti-Savage sites like Sniper`s Hide.

I've been seeing some new Savage Impulses on clearance sales for very attractive prices lately. Just curious if many have built off the platform. I think it would make a slick 6x284! Any feedback would be great.
There are a lot of innovations in that action. I am a big Savage fan and have built many using their action, except for the Impulse, but it is on my list. If you want it and it meets your preference/price point, go for it. I would not pay attention to what others think or the sales projections.
Interesting. There may be some negative ones I haven`t seen, but the reviews I`ve read have been positive, even on traditionally anti-Savage sites like Sniper`s Hide.
Yep! Nothing/no one is safe/immune to negativity.

I'll do some evening Google fu, but wasn't there a guy on predator masters that did a couple?

When I had a 6-284, last thing needed was a faster action. Was so much fun in the alfalfa barrels were not long for this world...

#1 is a minor issue, at least for me. I always change the factory nut anyway.

#2 is not a Savage problem (short thread, as the poster identified). As far as Savage not sharing their information, it's a proprietary design, and they do not have to share it.

But this is just me. Cheers!
Agree. The video is someone who is learning. I turned off his second video in the series when he was hand threading. To me, that's a last resort. He could have just ordered a PTG .187 lug.
Thought about buying the 30-06 at $710. It's very tempting, but it doesn't come in LH configuration, I still have two builds I need to complete and a '59 model 1894 lift gate to repair.

Agree. The video is someone who is learning. I turned off his second video in the series when he was hand threading. To me, that's a last resort. He could have just ordered a PTG .187 lug.
Or he should have ordered the barrel with the correct thread length?
Thought about buying the 30-06 at $710. It's very tempting, but it doesn't come in LH configuration,
One of the innovations is its ambidextrous feature.

Last edited: