Savage Impulse Hog hunter 300win

Lefty7mmstw

Is anyone working with the Savage Impulse series rifles? Especially the hog hunter in 300win. I just picked one up on a whim in 300win and look forward to working with a straight pull rifle.

Well, I hung a 6.5x-20x Weaver grand slam on her in steel Burris rings. I had to scavenge the scope from a 6.5 creed. I hope Butter Bean doesn't think less of me for that! The plan is to take it out tomorrow with a couple of known 300win loads for initial sight in. I'll do load development if I have to but I suspect the 165 Hornady interlock and rl22 load will shoot as it has in every single rifle that's eaten it.

Last edited:
I'll be interested in reading your report.

I picked up a hog hunter 6.5CM on a whim as well. Haven't shot it yet. Heavy gun, but for my use it doesn't matter.

Fit and finish is far better than any Savage I have seen recently.

Well, we got the rifle on paper this afternoon.
I ran a 1.1" group first group out of the pipe after sighting in using 165 Hdy fb/ 78rl22/215 ww brass that I load for my Browning 300win.
I'd loaded up some Retumbo/ 180 grain test loads but she wasn't really happy so I ditched that plan.
We next tried some 200 eld-x/ 73v565/ 215 in pmc brass I'd loaded for my Browning also. The Savage dumped a .980" and a .997" group with my son and I both shooting it. (100yds)
Keep in mind my Browning is a standard action rifle with a rather short throat. I haven't even checked the throating on the Savage let alone walked a bullet out to the rifling a bit. All ammo was standard oal.. 3.34 to 3.36"
All in all it's (the Savage) a nice/ stable pipe moa out of the box with at least some potential to better that. I wouldn't try for really steamy stuff as the extraction seems about akin to a #1 or pump; possibly an auto. Not really turn bolt beat it open with a hammer territory.
It's going hunting next year to be sure; my son has already fallen in love with the rifle.

Thanks for the great report.

I'll be very happy if mine shoots that well with the first couple loads tried.

I know what you mean about steamy loads. I'm aware they had to design in a mechanism to assist in primary extraction.

Since mine's a 6.5CM for light game hunting, I'll be feeding it factory ammo unless I see a strong reason not to. IMO it's tough to beat the good 6.5CM factory ammo.

I am seriously liking this rifle too, and expect that to continue when I shoot it.

Recent Posts