Savage Hog Hunter stock.

gohring3006

Is this stock like the Axis Tupperware or like the long range Hunter, which is much better material? I know it doesn't have the bedding block, more concerned with the material used. Thanks

I don't own one, but I'm almost positive it is Not an Accustock .
So.... its probably like an Axis being hollow ( honeycomb) .

In an emergency you could fill the hollow compartments with epoxy ( JB weld or Devcon) if extra weight isn't an option. But that's probably more work than its worth.

I have a model 10 .243 accutrigger with the wood stock. I'm running it in a sniper match and it's getting beat to heck. So I picked up the hog Hunter stock on eBay for 30$. I'm hoping its at least pillar bedded, maybe I can do something with it like you said. I used Rockite on a Ruger stock, it added quite a bit of weight but it was manageable.

If you using a bipod with the Hog hunter stock look to see how rigid the forend is.
It might flex.

Once I bedded aluminum C-channel in the forend of a Remington 700 Tupperware stock, it really helped.

If you using a bipod with the Hog hunter stock look to see how rigid the forend is.
It might flex.
If it's any thing like the Axis stock, I'm going to be really disappointed. It will flex...
I'm thinking like you, I could get it stabile with some work.

It is a step up from the Axis stock, but not much of a step. It will have pillars and be somewhat flimsy in the forearm. Years ago I took my fv 12 staggered stock and ground it out and Devcon bedded a Fat Shaft carbon arrow shaft in the forearm. I shot this rifle this past week testing a load using a Harris bipod, excellent performance. This added to the rigidity quite a bit, enough that with the bipod in place the stock will not touch the barrel. The added weight to the stock doing it this way is next to nothing. I would also consider a .25" square piece of aluminum box tubing to take the place of the arrow shaft.

Don Dunlap

It is a step up from the Axis stock, but not much of a step. It will have pillars and be somewhat flimsy in the forearm. Years ago I took my fv 12 staggered stock and ground it out and Devcon bedded a Fat Shaft carbon arrow shaft in the forearm. I shot this rifle this past week testing a load using a Harris bipod, excellent performance. This added to the rigidity quite a bit, enough that with the bipod in place the stock will not touch the barrel. The added weight to the stock doing it this way is next to nothing. I would also consider a .25" square piece of aluminum box tubing to take the place of the arrow shaft.

Don Dunlap
Good to know Don, honestly if it was basically a Axis stock I would probably cut my losses and scrapped the whole idea. But being its more than likely a step up, I think I could make it work like you and tbrice described.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.