Savage Trophy Hunter

Mitch Rapp

Anyone have much info or experience with the Trophy hunter? I see some pretty good deals on them, and figure you could sell the Nikon scope they come with for a bit of your money back. Almost like a rebate lol.

Looking at them in 30-06 or 300 Win. Really want a gun that starting out will do at least 1 MOA, figure that's not a tall order for a Savage.

Anyone have much info or experience with the Trophy hunter? I see some pretty good deals on them, and figure you could sell the Nikon scope they come with for a bit of your money back. Almost like a rebate lol.

Looking at them in 30-06 or 300 Win. Really want a gun that starting out will do at least 1 MOA, figure that's not a tall order for a Savage.

You will probably shoot moa, but no guarantee. The stock is pretty much "matel" but they are not a bad bargain. I just bought a model 16 a few months back and built a custom on the action. Parted out the rest.......Rich

I bought one a while back, a youth model in 308 for my girlfriend. DID NOT like the lighter bullets (150's) and the groups seemed like the bedding was not secure. So I bedded it with jb weld and who would a thunk, groups shrunk. With 168 AMAX bullets it prints 3/4" 5 shot groups, and good velocity for the 20" barrel at 2730fps. If you plan on changing the stock or at very least bedding it, I wouldn't hesitate. It's a good shooter. And for her uses, the 3-9 bdc nikon isn't too shabby. For a long range rig though, I would certainly upgrade the glass. Overall good gun for the price though I would say.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.