Savage 110 Hunter -- Thoughts?

Brydawg512

What is everyone's experience with the Savage 110 Hunter? I'm looking in 300WM. I see there is a 110 Hunter Long Range, however, for nearly $300 more it has a 26" barrel (2 inches longer), adjustable brake, and possibly a 9 twist instead of 10?

What is accuracy like, at distance (500 yards or so) out of the box?

I think I'm liking the Savage side of things moreso than Browning, considering the higher availability of aftermarket parts.

Interested to hear everyone's experience with this rifle.

The main differences are the Hunter model has a DBM and the Long Range has a hinged floor plate. Performance wise (meaning velocity), I believe what you may have gained by the additional 2" of barrel length will be somewhat offset by the addition of the muzzle brake on the Long range model. Their website shows both models having the same twist (10)
I'm uncertain of the mag length on the Long Range model, but Savage's DBM's are notoriously short. I am having a CDI bottom metal installed on my Savage 110 that accept AI mags. With the factory mag, I am limited to .070 off the lands with Berger 210VLD.
Again, your paying for a hinged floor plate and an adjustable muzzle brake. My experience is these get dirty quickly and aren't field adjustable, if that matters to you. The Long Range model is also .6 lbs heavier. Accuracy wise, Savage has always impressed me for an out-of-the-box rifle.
Choose with the understanding of these differences and how they apply to your style of hunting and I don't think you will be disappointed in either.

I have a Savage LRH in 6.5x284 that I won at an Egg Shoot several years ago. It was the first Savage bolt action I had owned and have been pleasantly surprised with its accuracy and reliability. The barrel was 26" "including" the muzzle break, actual barrel length 24". The only modification from "out of the box" was that I sanded away a small pressure point tab at the end of the forearm tip of the Accuracy-Stock in order to fully float the barrel. After break-in and load development the rifle produced consistent sub .5 MOA groups. I have acquired a couple more Savage rifles (22-250 Predator, 260 LRP) since, displaying similar accuracy and reliability.
Shown: 500 yard group of Savage LRP.
8AADCD4C-5385-432D-B708-502BC8732B17.jpeg

I have a savage 110 for my semi custom 300 win mag. Accuracy from every savage I have had is great. The 1/10 twist easily handled the 215 Berger and the 181 hammer hunters well past 1000.
And you are correct lots of aftermarket stuff. Can't go wrong with either of your choices.

I have a savage 110 for my semi custom 300 win mag. Accuracy from every savage I have had is great. The 1/10 twist easily handled the 215 Berger and the 181 hammer hunters well past 1000.
And you are correct lots of aftermarket stuff. Can't go wrong with either of your choices.

How long have you been able to load your rounds? Does your 110 have DBM or floor plate?

I have a Savage LRH in 6.5x284 that I won at an Egg Shoot several years ago. It was the first Savage bolt action I had owned and have been pleasantly surprised with its accuracy and reliability. The barrel was 26" "including" the muzzle break, actual barrel length 24". The only modification from "out of the box" was that I sanded away a small pressure point tab at the end of the forearm tip of the Accuracy-Stock in order to fully float the barrel. After break-in and load development the rifle produced consistent sub .5 MOA groups. I have acquired a couple more Savage rifles (22-250 Predator, 260 LRP) since, displaying similar accuracy and reliability.
Shown: 500 yard group of Savage LRP.
View attachment 164365

Does muzzle brake on the LRH model thread off it I wanted a different brake? If so, do you know thread size? As mentioned above, how long have you been able to load with the hinged floor? All the way to the lands?

Does muzzle brake on the LRH model thread off it I wanted a different brake? If so, do you know thread size? As mentioned above, how long have you been able to load with the hinged floor? All the way to the lands?
It appeared that the whole unit was screwed into the barrel but I never removed it. I just left it in the "on" position. It could be turned on or off. I have plenty of room in the magazine to fit VLD's seated to the lands. My best accuracy was at .075" off the lands with the 140 VLD's.

It appeared that the whole unit was screwed into the barrel but I never removed it. I just left it in the "on" position. It could be turned on or off. I have plenty of room in the magazine to fit VLD's seated to the lands. My best accuracy was at .075" off the lands with the 140 VLD's.

Awesome. Now, your rifle has the floor plate correct, not the magazine deal? I really like the price point of the non-LR Hunter, however, not the fact it sounds like there may be length limitations as a result of the magazine.

Mine also has a floor plate and no issues. I couldn't tell you how far off I am with the new hammers as they did they load work. But I'm sure it doesn't matter with those bullets cause they haven't seemed to care about jump in anything I've loaded them in.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.