Savage long range hunter vs 110

LanceK

I am seriously considering a savage chambered in 280ai. The gun will mostly be a target gun, but on the rare occasion I get to hunt (1-2 times/year) it will be my go to hunting gun. Is the savage long range hunter really worth the extra over the standard 110? Will the adjustable muzzle break change the point of impact?

I have owned both in different calibers...I liked both. The adjustable muzzle brake on the Long Range Hunter does shift POI when either in the open or closed position. Also, if the brake is not cleaned and lubed frequently, it will seize up in whatever position it is in. So, handle both and see what feels the best in your hand and go for it. You have a better chance of getting a shooter with a Savage out of the box than most other big manufactures. Good luck!

If the 110 Hunter is what you calling standard then it comes with a 22" barrel. The LRH comes with a 26" barrel. You'd be giving up some performance for sure. Depends on what long range is to you. The LRH balances out pretty nice too. With the barrel being threaded for a break it gives you the option for an aftermarket break.

I am seriously considering a savage chambered in 280ai. The gun will mostly be a target gun, but on the rare occasion I get to hunt (1-2 times/year) it will be my go to hunting gun. Is the savage long range hunter really worth the extra over the standard 110? Will the adjustable muzzle break change the point of impact?

The new 110 Long Range Hunter they just came out with looks awesome. I don't know what kind of hunting you do or how far your shots are, but the brake will be nice at the range and help you spot your shots...i am guessing the new accufit stock comes on both models you are looking at. If I had the funds I would spring for long range hunter. I shoot out to 1200 yards at the range and hunt out west where there could be some long 500+ yard shots, so it would be worth it to me.

If the 110 Hunter is what you calling standard then it comes with a 22" barrel. The LRH comes with a 26" barrel. You'd be giving up some performance for sure. Depends on what long range is to you. The LRH balances out pretty nice too. With the barrel being threaded for a break it gives you the option for an aftermarket break.
The LRH is really a 24 inch barrel plus the 2 inch brake.

The LRH is really a 24 inch barrel plus the 2 inch brake.

I was not aware of that, I've only shouldered them at the gun store and shot a friends.
There are several older models for sale out there for just over $600. That new model is way more comfortable.

That burns me up:mad:. They should know better:mad:. Also they list 'calibers' instead of cartridges!!:mad:
I love Savage rifle and build about three or more a year ... do not love their website.

They used to have a great site, then all of a sudden it changed. I agree, it stinks

That burns me up:mad:. They should know better:mad:. Also they list 'calibers' instead of cartridges!!:mad:
I love Savage rifle and build about three or more a year ... do not love their website.

If you don't mind me asking what do you mean by build? I have thought about buying the pieces and building one, but I figured I would be in it for more than just buying one.

Savage action, custom barrel, tuned trigger, machined recoil lug, trued barrel nut. Sometimes I will machine ahead of the recoil lug slot on an Accustock to accept a thicker machined recoil lug.
Usually $1000 to $1300 per build without glass.
20180203_082435.jpg
Screenshot_20180328-174240.png

Not sure if it's the same way now since Savage streamlined their 110 line.
The 111 long range hunter has the varmint accutrigger, there's three main accutriggers. Standard, varmint and target. The varmint is a much better trigger than the standard. I was able to polish and tune my 111 to a very crisp 1.5-1.75 pounds. I can't get a standard to go that low with out firing.

My LRH 7 rem mag was a 1/2" MOA shooter out of the box with handloads. Then the adjustable brake seized and I bought a suppressor so I put on a detach mount. It's still a 1/2 MOA gun. I am not sure it's exactly 24" vs 26" barrel. I think it's closer to 24" with the brake on and 26" with the brake off. You may not get the full advantage 2" more barrel, but you get some of it and that is why the POI moves.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.