Savage Long Range Hunter

I love my Savage LRH. It's a 6.5x284 and it shoots 1/2 moa. (Sorry, no pics. I'm in Ak. fishing till april) I don't think the barrel is too skinny at all. It's not a competition rifle, it's a hunting rifle. Mine does have a different POI if I turn off the brake. Still as accurate. I prefer it on as I like to see my impact on steel targets. I have a 1000 yard range at my house and this gun easily goes to a grand. This is my first Savage rifle, and I love it. I've always had Remmys, but when I bought this rifle, it was the only factory LRH on the market. Not disappointed with it all all.

I have a 6.5-284 Savage LRH as well. Love it. I can pretty much always count on it to shoot 1/2 moa. Sometimes it will shoot a 1 hole group but I don't know why it doesn't every day. :rolleyes:probably the guy behind it. I could not be more pleased with the rifle. I worked up my load with the brake on and have not touched the brake since. I'm sure it's froze but I have no need to shoot it in the off position anyways. I find the barrel weight is more than adequate to put at least 2 or 3 shots or target at any range and is still light enough to be a carry rifle instead of a bench rifle. It's the perfect hunting size barrel in my opinion. Now if I was going to try to pick off a herd at once I may need a heavier barrel.

Here is one of my better groups with the rifle but not the best group. 3 shots at 105 yards.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 66
This is a typical group with my rifle. Shoots like this most of the time with an occasional group like my last post.

3 shots at 105 yards

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 60
You will not be disappointed with the LRH. I have the 7mm and its my go-to rifle. I have taken coues deer out to 500 yds with no problem. I'm getting 2950fps with Berger 168's. Good luck, don't forget about a quality repeatable scope to top it off. I fully recommend Nightforce but there are obviously others that will perform perfectly as well.

Those are some good groups. And yes i plan on buying a vortex viper. I have had two vortex scopes and loved them. I have never had a night force. I hear they are one of the best.

I have the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 on my LRH. It's a pretty good scope. It's one of the $279 Camera Land scopes. I am pleased with it for the price. I'm not sure I'd be pleased if I paid $500 for it like some places sell it for. The eye relief gets pretty finicky on 20 X but other than that I like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.