Savage Long Range Hunter reviews?

the444shooter

Where are all the Savage LRH reviews? I would've expected this forum in particular to be oozing with reviews on this new rifle!!! I've been considering getting one in 7mm or 300 Win, but the lack of reviews (positive or negative) has me reconsidering--is it a case of "no news is good news?" I've also looked over at savageshooters.com, and they're unusually quiet as well.

I am working on one to be posted here, I told the admin I would have it three weeks ago, but with the kids and school starting for the kids and myself, it has been hectic. Mine is a 6.5-284 and in short it is the most accurate factory built rifle I have ever laid my hands on. I have had my hands on a lot of them. I have shot a lot of custom rifles that don't shoot this well, and a few that did, fewer did better. I shot a 1.2 inch group the other day with ammo ranging from 2800-3200 FPS and 4 different bullets, and 3 powders, I was emptying spares that I had one or two left of each. To me given the differences in ammo, that is pretty impressive.

Basically like buying a box of rem, win, Hornady and Federal ammo and putting one of each in your magazine and firing a group, most rifles would be all over the paper, if all were on it.

Everything on it works advertised and it is easy to find a good load for at whatever velocity range or bullet you are looking for. There are some detractors who say it is not a true 26 inch barrel, and this is true, but it somehow matches velocities that target shooters get with 28 inch+ tubes. The brake works perfectly but you have to follow the instructions in the manual when cleaning to keep it from getting sticky. I see on average about 10-12 FPS lost from opening the brake. Hope this helps, I will have something more detailed up hopefully in a couple weeks. I have a few more things I need to verify before I send it to Mr. Backus and have to finish writing it which will be about an hour after I make sure everything is correct.

Not a 7 or 300 mag, but hope this is helpful info.

How could they give a gun a B for workmanship when it is shooting any factory load they put through it under an inch??? Maybe an A- but just because the rubberized coating on the stock starts to peel the day after you pick it up. But everything else on it is top notch. I even like the feel of the stock, but that is personal preference. If it had a piece of fine walnut on it then you grade that on workmanship as well, but it does not so I cannot see how that would be graded other than what I mentioned.

Thanks! I know that there aren't that many guns actually out there, but I would've thought that since they started shipping in the spring, there would've been guys lined up to get them. I look forward to your complete review, but have 2 more quick questions for you.

Is the barrel fully floated? I looked at one in .308 that appeared to have the stock touching the barrel.

Does the muzzle brake affect POI?

I can't wait to read the real review--hopefully with good pics too!

Thanks again

Thanks! I know that there aren't that many guns actually out there, but I would've thought that since they started shipping in the spring, there would've been guys lined up to get them. I look forward to your complete review, but have 2 more quick questions for you.

Is the barrel fully floated? I looked at one in .308 that appeared to have the stock touching the barrel.

Does the muzzle brake affect POI?

I can't wait to read the real review--hopefully with good pics too!

Thanks again

The barrel is floated. If you found one that was touching the barrel then the wedge for the accustock was out of alignment and you could adjust it easily to fix that.

The Muzzle brake on mine may have a 1/2 inch effect on the POI with some ammo, with my hunting load it has none at 200 yards.

One thing I forgot to say about that 1.2 inch group, it was 10 shots. Here is a picture. And on the subject of another thread, this is a factory barrel without any meaningful cooldown time between shots, it was shot in just over a minute. Bore started cool.

100_1401.jpg

Mine will be here on Tuesday next week. What bases did you use? I'm trying to decide between a one piece or 2 piece base. With the left feed right eject will a one piece get in the way?

Mine will be here on Tuesday next week. What bases did you use? I'm trying to decide between a one piece or 2 piece base. With the left feed right eject will a one piece get in the way?

The LRH is a standard top/right feed right eject. I used standard weaver bases, Millet rings I use them because they work for my in all but the most heavily recoiling rifles I have. I used a 2 piece and yes I feel like a single piece base would be in the way. with a two piece you still can easily feed it from the left, I do it all the time while shooting targets.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.