Savage Long Range Hunter

xFREDRICKx

Hi,

I am new to the forum and was looking for some information about the Savages Long Range Hunter. I have seen many threads talking about it and compared to other rifles, but most of them start to slide away from the topic, so i am posting to try to get an answer I am looking for. Thank you all ahead of time, love reading these threads.

When shooting the LRH with the muzzle break on are most of you getting the same accuracy as with it off? If not what are your differences. Is the barrel 26" then has the muzzle break added to it or is the muzzle break included in the 26". If it is included then you are looking at around a 24" barrel. And finally, do most of you use the break for long range shooting lets say out to 1000 yards. I would like to get sub MOA. Recoil doesn't bother me as I am larger guy at 6'7" 230# but staying on target after the shot is what I am after. This is the reason why I am looking at the savage LRH over the remington 700 long range.

I am looking at the 7mm and i will start doing handloads within the next year. I order a book to gain some knowledge on it.

I almost always shot with the brake on, but you will get the same accuracy with it off. It will just change your POI. Grease that brake though after every range trip or it will seize.

On a side note.... I never really felt confident shooting long range with mine. That barrel is SPAGHETTI compared to what you would typically see in a long range setup. And the rifle is pretty light, so you have to be extra careful you aren't flinching or pulling even a little bit.

I will say this though; when I had my LRH it shot .5-.75 MOA when I was doing my part. Great rifle, just don't know if I'd endore it for 1,000 yarder. Other guys may disagree.

Good luck!

I have had two Savage LRH, one in 300 WM and one in 6.5 284.

If you don't keep the brake spotlessly clean and oil free it will seize up. Trust me just leave it open, work up loads and hunt with it open. You will get at least a different point of impact with it closed anyway, if not worse accuracy .
I have hunted with them both with the brake open all the way up untill the barrels were toast and needed to be rebarreled.

I will suggest electronic ear muffs or ear plugs while hunting.

Forgot the earplug part. You will DEFINITELY want a good pair, and warn your buddies ahead of time :D

Thank you all. The thin barrel is another reason of mine why I was looking at the 700 long range and just replacing the trigger.

I was where you are a few years ago. The LRH was my first attempt at long range. I then eventually switched to a Rem 700 5R Milspec. Hated the stock though, and instead of just replacing the stock I sold the rifle (dumb, dumb, DUMB)!

The one thing about the Remington is it is easy to get aftermarket parts for. As for Savage...... You will be waiting :)

Yep, Remingtons are great. All you have to do is relace the trigger, stock, get it trued and blueprinted and rebarreled and you are set.

Haha!

I personally am a Savage guy. I've lived and learned and now shoot a 110 BA. It doesn't disappoint :)

And I have to admit that I shot one of my 7mag Remington 700 s today with a Jewel trigger (finest trigger on earth) and Criterion barrel and HS Precision stock . Shot 6shot group of .408 moa at 200 yards.

Thanks. I have shot remingtons my whole life and shot some savages freinds have had and loved them and heard great things about them. However knock on wood, no issues with any remington i have had and absolutely no complaints. Just thought it would be a good rifle for the price. I have been going back and forth between these two guns for a few months. Just got to pull the trigger on one.

Echo8, later on i WILL have a savage 110 for range. That is what my buddy had that i loved. but looking for a rifle that would still be good to haul around hunting as well as distance shooting for fun. When the time is right that i can afford to have just a range rifle i will purchase one.

Get whatever you want..... Don't overthink it. I love this site but the one thing you will find is guys that have their brands they are loyal to and they try and push them on everyone else.

And while there are a LOT of guys on here that are extremely knowledgeable and you can learn from, there is an equal number of guys on here that are just straight up full of $h*t!!!

I personally find the guys that say "I shoot 1/2 MOA all day long with my blah blah rifle" laughable. I stay away from those guys. On the other hand, I pay extra attention to the guys that back their talk up with pics :)

Just my 2 cents. Go with what you like. If you're comfortable with it (and like it) you WILL shoot it better.

Forgot the pic

Attachments

• 20160129_201318.jpg
    20160129_201318.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 74
This load is awesome for a Remington. Keep in mind that I am truly a Savage man.
All shots at 200 yards

Attachments

• 20160129_202202.jpg
    20160129_202202.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.