Savage long range hunter vs 110

If I were you and you have moderate mechanical aptitude I would build one. With enough shopping around you can get a nice Wilson barrel and B&C stock and have a very nice shooter under $1k. Most of my Savage builds come in around 8lbs. They are difficult to get light weight without custom ordering barrels and carbon stocks.
^^^^^^^^What he said x100 ^^^^^^^^^
As an "Aficionado of the Band of the Barrel Nut", as much as I love the barreled action's, throw the rest of the rifle in the salvage pile and as excellent as the barrels are, replace that too. I'v moved to full chassis.

I understand what you are saying, but I bet you are wrong if you ran it over a chrony. If the brake is open and the gas is vented off the max velocity is at the crown, sure. But, with only .020-.040 of space around the bullet you are not losing all of the pressure. This is why a can increases muzzle velocity. Is it a significant gain, maybe not, but I'm curious.

Nobody is making any statement about velocity. It does not change the fact that a brake does not change the barrel length period. Since you are bringing up velocity I have chronod with and without brakes on a few rifles and there was little to no appreciable velocity difference. Brakes move poi due to the same mechanics that make tuners work. Adding or subtracting weight at the muzzle moves the poi. Having a Magneto Speed on the barrel does the same thing. Several test show a suppressors average muzzle increase is around 15-20 fps for a suppressor averaging 6ish inches. A 2" brake is not even going to be outside the extreme spread of most loads.

Nobody is making any statement about velocity. It does not change the fact that a brake does not change the barrel length period. Since you are bringing up velocity I have chronod with and without brakes on a few rifles and there was little to no appreciable velocity difference. Brakes move poi due to the same mechanics that make tuners work. Adding or subtracting weight at the muzzle moves the poi. Having a Magneto Speed on the barrel does the same thing. Several test show a suppressors average muzzle increase is around 15-20 fps for a suppressor averaging 6ish inches. A 2" brake is not even going to be outside the extreme spread of most loads.

There was a statement made about velocity, that said we're comparing 22" vs 26" barrel. Then a correction that this is actually a 24" barrel. I'm speculating that this will run faster than a 24" barrel

Have you tested with this type of brake turned on and then turned off? If you just mean removing a different type of brake of course you are right. I cannot say for certain that I am right bc I have not tested this. That's why I was hoping that someone else had.

I can tell you with almost certainty it's NOT going to give you 50 FPS by closing the brake. 50 FPS is the average increase in a magnum with a 2" longer barrel. I've never even seen close to that with a suppressor which is much longer. I will not continue to argue with you. I've done enough testing to know it's not going to happen. If you're ok with loosing nearly 50 FPS have at it. I'll never again own a 24" magnum cartridge barrel. OP, good luck with your decision. If you more info on building your own feel free to pm. I'll not be posting in this thread again.

I can tell you with almost certainty it's NOT going to give you 50 FPS by closing the brake. 50 FPS is the average increase in a magnum with a 2" longer barrel. I've never even seen close to that with a suppressor which is much longer. I will not continue to argue with you. I've done enough testing to know it's not going to happen. If you're ok with loosing nearly 50 FPS have at it. I'll never again own a 24" magnum cartridge barrel. OP, good luck with your decision. If you more info on building your own feel free to pm. I'll not be posting in this thread again.
AMEN

I really was not trying to upset anybody and feel free to walk away, but the suppressor is designed to bleed off pressure so it's not a fair comparison to this type of brake, that when closed, is not designed to bleed off pressure. And you are correct. It is not going to be the same as +2"/50 fps bc some gas is going to escape around the bullet, so the distinction may be a moot point. I'm just curious.

I am seriously considering a savage chambered in 280ai. The gun will mostly be a target gun, but on the rare occasion I get to hunt (1-2 times/year) it will be my go to hunting gun. Is the savage long range hunter really worth the extra over the standard 110? Will the adjustable muzzle break change the point of impact?
I own a 300 WinMag Savage model 111 in Long Range Hunter. I have developed loads for the 212-G ELD-X or 210-G Berger or 215-Bergers all with Retumbo powder and I use Hornaday brass it's a little harder brass witch works out better with the heavier bullets. That rifle just shoots lights out !! and you get the muzzle break,accu-trigger ,accu-stock and Karsten adjustable rest all in one rifle. And yes the adjustable muzzle break doe's stick but I always leave it open all the time like most other breaks.

I don't think the newest ones have the Kirsten adjustable rest. It seems to be the same as the other accu-stocks, or whatever their called.

I have a 116 Weather warrior in 300 RUM and the brake, open vs. closed absolutely changes impact point substantially.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.