Savage 10/110 6.5x284 predator/hunter max 1

scoper73

Hi Guys,
New guy here! I have this rifle ordered and coming Friday for pickup at my local gunstore and I'm trying to order the correct base and rings for it. The scope I ordered is a burris mtac 6-20x50. From what I'm seeing the bases are calling for a "flat" rear or "round" rear base....I would like to order a one piece egw 20moa base and not sure what to buy here without seeing the rifle first! Itchy to get everything ordered so I can start to break in the barrel Sunday! Any help would be appreciated as well as suggestions for base and or rings! Thanks!

Your rifle is a round top and you will need a long action base for it. I haven't seen any EGW LA savage bases in stock anywhere for a while but I might be mistaken. I had to get a warne steel for mine last fall. First thing before you put your base on, line up all of your base holes on top of your receiver and make sure they are centered with the end of the barrel. I recently had a savage that wasn't and put a lot of rounds downrange before I figured out the problem. Brownells is having a sale on rings and bases as we speak so you might look on there for available parts.

Yes its a round rear reciever, Savage hasn't made a flat rear reciever in almost 10 years. Good choice in rife btw, Burris is also a nice scope. As for rings Weaver or Burris Tactical or TPS. If you can't find an EGW LA picatinny base then Weaver also makes one that is pretty good and about 10 bucks cheaper. I think Midway has the Weaver base in stock and Opticsplanet is your best bet to find the EGW.

Thank you for the information, I was on hold with customer service at Savage yesterday and gave up after waiting almost 30 minutes. I have a new problem now..the scope is not in stock near me and I am thinking about the Burris XTR 4.5-16...although Im not sure if I should stick with the higher power 6-20. Im going to be doing some target and some hunting in Colorado for mule deer and elk....any suggestions on power of scope and also any other scopes in the 900.00 range?

Elkhunter thank you for the heads up on the screws and barrel...Ill let you know Friday night after I get the rifle if they were okay or not!

Good news if they are not, they will make it right. I think I just got a lemon. The recoil lug was also bottomed out in the bedding block putting torque on the action so it made groups hard to get small.

If you are will to spend 900 on a scope I reccomend a 6-24x50 Sightron SIII with either the fine crosshair with a center dot or the lrmoa reticle, depending where you look they are 750-875$ and they are the "Poor Mans" Nightforce.

I bought the same gun about a year ago and one problem i had was that i couldnt find a rail for mine so I had to pick a scope with a long enough tube to mount on savages factory mounts cause of the long action but i recently bought a weaver 20 moa rail from midway usa so thats a good place to look

Thank you to all! I have the rifle put together now with a Blackhawk 20 moa rail and scope. I could not find brass anywhere so I bought 3 loaded boxes of Norma 120gr btbt to help break in the barrel and have some brass to reload with....I also was able to find some VV N160 powder and some lapua 412gr hp to load up some rounds with....Anyone know where to find som primers??? Also any load data would be appreciated for that pwder and weight bullet...

PS>elkhunter...screws seem to be in alignment with the barrel!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.