Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP bottom metal inletting question

codyadams

So my cousin is having a Mcmillan stock built for his fiance's Savage 6.5x284, it is the Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP bottom bolt release, it had the plastic stock with no magazine frame (it is molded into the stock) and detachable box mag with plastic bottom and clip. If you buy the Boyds stock for this model, it is the flat bottom inletting and you simply call Savage and tell them you got a boyds stock for the 111 trophy hunter xp with bbr and plastic stock, and they send you the metal bottom metal frame, metal box mag bottom, and metal trigger guard with bolt release for like $150 shipped.

Well, he ordered the stock, and Mcmillan said that they just lost their savage guy and do not know how to inlet it due to savage having 50,000 different inlets, and suggested to have it inlet for the cdi dbm. He doesn't want the cdi dbm however, he wants the factory metal bottom metal. How do we relay to Mcmillan the proper type of inletting? Anyone ordered a Mcmillan stock for this gun and have their stock build sheet or something to pass on to them?

Thanks everyone.

Nevermind, I just called them back and talked to a different guy and figured out the issue.

Fore reference to people in a similar situation, the reason the order originally got stalled was because not all stocks will work with the factory savage dbm for at least the 111 models. Apparently the bottom metal is too wide at the front, and would be sticking out the edges of the slimmer for-end stocks. You can either convert your DBM to a blind magazine, or order a different stock with a wider section on the bottom that will accommodate the larger bottom metal frame. Originally he was going to go with the Mcmillan hunter, but it will not work due to this issue. I believe he is going to go with the A-3 Sporter, which will accommodate this.

I truly hope Savage knocks this crap off, they make good rifles but getting proper aftermarket parts for them is a royal PITA. Many companies won't make stuff for them because there are too many variations to make a well fitted product.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.