I bought land - now what?

dan1953

I am in the process of buying 13 acres of mixed forest in North Florida. It borders on two sides, the Swanee River Water management area where no hunting is allowed - 559 acres. It was a hunting camp years ago and I am not sure of the camp's original size. It has a structure under a 28' x 28' metal roof, 14x14 cabin, 14x14 front porch, and a 14x28' covered area - to park a travel trailer under. It is run down but the bones are good. I can handle the cabin but where do I start with the land? The forest is tight and will work now for bow hunting. Do I rent a forestry mulcher and go to town? Plan trails? Clear an acre for a food plot? HELP! I am excited but a little freaked out on what to do with a pretty blank canvas.

Definitely need some food to attract them in!
IMG_5399.png
IMG_5397.jpeg

I am in the process of buying 13 acres of mixed forest in North Florida. It borders on two sides, the Swanee River Water management area where no hunting is allowed - 559 acres. It was a hunting camp years ago and I am not sure of the camp's original size. It has a structure under a 28' x 28' metal roof, 14x14 cabin, 14x14 front porch, and a 14x28' covered area - to park a travel trailer under. It is run down but the bones are good. I can handle the cabin but where do I start with the land? The forest is tight and will work now for bow hunting. Do I rent a forestry mulcher and go to town? Plan trails? Clear an acre for a food plot? HELP! I am excited but a little freaked out on what to do with a pretty blank canvas.
Just chill, One day at a time. I'm envious however. I wish I had bought land back in my youth when I was able to work the land, and the remodeling. If a lot of grass land, rent it out to a rancher to feed his livestock.

Congratulations,
I also have some property up in Levy county that's west of 19, I understand the density of the woods you are looking at.

FWIW, My best advice is to hunt this season with minimal changes and learn how the animals use the property. Put cameras up all over and get a handle on their summer movements and take notes. Definitely take notice of water source and the low cool shaded scrub for your archery season.

I tell you what, just give me a call, I'll load up the tractor and head over. You just have to give me first crack and any game.lol. But I agree with @captrjc. If you have a little opening you can plant a small food plot or put up a feeder I'd do that initially. I've found during the summer mineral blocks do better than corn, once fall hits I shift over to corn and that keeps them coming in.
I only own 6 acres in north Florida but I can go out and see deer pretty much 99% of the time. Most I've seen in one sit on my property was 12 one morning. Which I know isn't a lot for some places, but for NW Florida that ain't bad. I have a small plot down by a creek and then have a few other areas I put out feed. First year I owned it I killed 2 does with the bow. This last season I only killed a buck. Wanted to keep all the does around to attract bucks during the rut.

Attachments

• IMG_3835.jpeg
    IMG_3835.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3678.jpeg
    IMG_3678.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3646.jpeg
    IMG_3646.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3645.jpeg
    IMG_3645.jpeg
    15.3 KB · Views: 32
depends on how the ground is without manipulation but I really like leaning into the natural pattern that's already there and possibly clearing light brush to do food plots over just slapping in some corn.

We let the neighbors feed them corn :)

Contact county forester, soil conservation district, they can help you with any programs that will help your plans for the future for wildlife and habitat if you qualify. Mowing, herbicide and planting is a long term plan. Just set objectives and move forward. Planning is your best tool
Quality not quantity

Thanks

Buck

Recent Posts