Savage Impulse builds?

I'd go to a store and work the action a time or two first....not smooth....work best I find if you get your thumb on the back of the bolt to keep it straight going forward. I own 2 both Elite Precision!
I wish I could have handled one without a stupid lock on the trigger guard. The one I played with was smooth enough, just a pain to have to push the bolt release button every time.

I just ordered the Impulse 6.5 CM (although I don't need another Creedmoor) from Brownells, so we'll see what it's like. I'm a sucker for a bargain and 50% off is hard to turn down. I had the opportunity to run the bolt on an Impulse at the range about a year ago and it was pretty slick. And every Savage I've ever owned was a shooter, so we'll see what this 20" barrel will do with a suppressor.

Basically, any reputable GS with the right equipment can weld a screw on the bottom release lever for a knurl knob (or similar) to screw into. Or thread the lever to screw an extended arm. There was a guy that came up with a stock with a kit anchored on the outside of the stock. Unfortunately, I could no longer find his website; he might have gone out of business during covid .🤬

P.S.

I do not know all the bottom bolt release configuration, but mine is accessed through a slot.
I know that I was able to get an AICS compatible bottom metal from PTG that I was able to use on a bottom bolt release Savage. This one bottom metal has made it so I didn't have to shy away from the bottom bolt release models.

The other one I have I was going to put in the MDT XRS, don't think that has an option to include the bottom bolt release. I'm not sure how many times I've needed to removed the bolt in the field but I know it's not many. I figure it could be fine.
The worst part for me was during the barrel break-in. That's why I did not pursue the modification; after the barrel break-in, I no longer have to remove the bolt that often.

Last edited:
Figured I'd give everybody an update on this project. Finally got around to working on this beast. I'd tried a month or two ago to get the factory barrel off the barrel extension, with no luck. In fact, I sheared the teeth off a modified barrel nut wrench trying. If you tackle this, get a Wheeler combination barrel nut wrench, and dress the teeth down on the large nut end to about .035, maintaining the round radius. This fits the impulse barrel nut almost perfectly. The first wrench I tried was some cheap crap that was too soft. The barrel nut was red Locktited on from the factory. And not just barely, they put so much on the threads were red and chalky. Ended up using a butane torch to heat the barrel nut sufficiently to break down the Locktite. Heat gun wasn't cutting it for my impatient self. Heat and penetrating oil got her broke free easy enough! Used a rem 700 action wrench with some lead shims to get the barrel extension off.

Installed the proof prefit, hope to get to town to have it reamed to 6-284 this week. Rifle balances like a shotgun with the carbon barrel on it. This thing ought to hammer.

The Impulse is high on my list and a300 prc chambering would be big chubby!! Let me know how it goes . The 300 actually wold be good and without extra expense = more ammunition!!

Agree. The video is someone who is learning. I turned off his second video in the series when he was hand threading. To me, that's a last resort. He could have just ordered a PTG .187 lug.
Thought about buying the 30-06 at $710. It's very tempting, but it doesn't come in LH configuration, I still have two builds I need to complete and a '59 model 1894 lift gate to repair.
The impulse is actually ambidextrous. Its a simple procedure to switch the bolt from right to left handed. Really pretty cool design.

I would think that some intrepid gunsmith or machinist would start making barrel extensions for the Impulse. Then we wouldn't have to struggle to remove the factory extension from the factory barrel. Simply buy a replacement barrel with the correct thread length, set the headspace and start shooting. Am I missing something here?

I would think that some intrepid gunsmith or machinist would start making barrel extensions for the Impulse. Then we wouldn't have to struggle to remove the factory extension from the factory barrel. Simply buy a replacement barrel with the correct thread length, set the headspace and start shooting. Am I missing something here?
I did talk to a guy on snipers hide that makes them, but he didn't have any available right now. There's someone on this forum (can't recall the name) that's used his stuff.

Recent Posts