savage 6.5x284 rifle help

I was checking other forums on here and found one where they are talking about issues with the lrh. Is anybody else on here having problems with their lrh (or predator hunter)? After reading that forum I'm kind of leary about making the purchase now.

I am kind of thinking you answered your own question. You found 1. I assume you found many others that did not have issue's. ??

Mine is great. No issue's.

I was checking other forums on here and found one where they are talking about issues with the lrh. Is anybody else on here having problems with their lrh (or predator hunter)? After reading that forum I'm kind of leary about making the purchase now.

Haven't heard of any issues with the 6.5x284's. I know about a half dozen people that have them. Opening the barrel channel at the tip of the stock is important to get the accuracy. Also, using the right load makes a big difference. Lots of poor loading info in the published manuals.

Glad to hear that yours is good. I was saying I found a forum full of people having problems with theirs. Hoping it was just the bad ones I read about there. I mean hopefully a lot more of you are having good luck than bad.

Love mine, no issues. Shot two whitetail with it this fall. Both ran a little ways but were dead on their feet. I'm shooting berger 140 vld's. Farthest shot to date is a rock at 1222.

Sounds good guys. Thanx. That puts my mind at eeez. I think I'm going to order my lrh this week. Hope I have good luck with mine as well.

Worked up some 140 A-max loads today in the LRH and produced this nice 5 shot group. I have had both LRH in 6.5x284 and 33LM and they have shot great!

Attachments

• 51.5 H4831SC.jpg
    51.5 H4831SC.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 18
I have a Savage #12 F-class rifle in 6.5x284. I'm not currently shooting F-class due to arthritis in my neck. I would like to use this rifle on long range prairie dogs. Does anyone have any ideas where I should start? I have some 100gr and 120gr Sierras left over from another rifle. Thought I might start there.

I just bought a LRH in 6.5-284 and a Vortex 6.5-20x44, waiting for some 30mm rings to come.Going to use it for Antelope and yotes.I think it is going to be Happy:D Going to shoot the 140 gr Berger VLD in this badboy.

Randy

I have the same rifle that was suggested to get from cabalas. That's where I got mine, here in Utah. I shoot 140 bergers with 49grns of Hybrid 100V power at 2844fps. I wish they would make a long range hunter in stainless...because that is the only reason I did not buy the LRH. But for as the rifle it shoots great. All factory loads have been less than 1" at 100yds and my load shoot .5 at 100yds even on my bad days. I have not tried to dial it in further with changing the seating depth but it continues to shoot .5 to .75 out to 600yds. Probably would do better if I worked with the load more. I am completely satisfied with the rifle. No issue with the stock and the trigger is great (accu trigger), made no adjustments to the trigger to lighten it. Only thing I've noticed was some HSM ammo was causing the bolt to be somewhat hard to open and I was seeing pressure signs on the case. I since pulled the ammo apart and just reloaded them. I wanted to get 3000fps out of the rifle but after a number of powders and lots of shooting I gave up and settled at the max hodgens load of 49grns of Hybrid 100V. Question for those reading the post what speed does the LRH get out of its 26 or 25 inch barrel at max load data from hodgens. Honestly the LRH's barrel looks like a 24 inch barrel with 2 inches of muzzle break if you ask me. I think 3000fps is doable but you will probably be loading a couple of grains past max load from hodgens. Then you'll start making the primer pockets loose. I already have some that are getting loose when loading 51.5grns of 4831 which produced about the same velocity. Ok enough said I love my 6.5 and it's a great shooter. Could be a little faster :rolleyes:.

I have the same rifle that was suggested to get from cabalas. That's where I got mine, here in Utah. I shoot 140 bergers with 49grns of Hybrid 100V power at 2844fps. I wish they would make a long range hunter in stainless...because that is the only reason I did not buy the LRH. But for as the rifle it shoots great. All factory loads have been less than 1" at 100yds and my load shoot .5 at 100yds even on my bad days. I have not tried to dial it in further with changing the seating depth but it continues to shoot .5 to .75 out to 600yds. Probably would do better if I worked with the load more. I am completely satisfied with the rifle. No issue with the stock and the trigger is great (accu trigger), made no adjustments to the trigger to lighten it. Only thing I've noticed was some HSM ammo was causing the bolt to be somewhat hard to open and I was seeing pressure signs on the case. I since pulled the ammo apart and just reloaded them. I wanted to get 3000fps out of the rifle but after a number of powders and lots of shooting I gave up and settled at the max hodgens load of 49grns of Hybrid 100V. Question for those reading the post what speed does the LRH get out of its 26 or 25 inch barrel at max load data from hodgens. Honestly the LRH's barrel looks like a 24 inch barrel with 2 inches of muzzle break if you ask me. I think 3000fps is doable but you will probably be loading a couple of grains past max load from hodgens. Then you'll start making the primer pockets loose. I already have some that are getting loose when loading 51.5grns of 4831 which produced about the same velocity. Ok enough said I love my 6.5 and it's a great shooter. Could be a little faster :rolleyes:.
The LRH has a24" barrel, 26 including the brake. I have been able to get 3020fps using 59 gr of Retumbo with no pressure signs, but the groups are tighter at 2970, 57.5gr.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.