Savage 110 help

with the 30-06 bolt, what calibers can be shot with a replacement barrel from shilen? something preferable better than the 30-06 as far as trajectory. what would be best? if the bolt needs to be replaced for a matching caliber, what company would be the best choice? thanks

with the 30-06 bolt, what calibers can be shot with a replacement barrel from shilen? something preferable better than the 30-06 as far as trajectory. what would be best? if the bolt needs to be replaced for a matching caliber, what company would be the best choice? thanks

If you want a magnum cartridge, you'll just need a magnum bolthead. They are about $35 for everything from midway. Or, they are $55 for everything already assembled from Sharp Shooter Supply.

If you want to keep the standard boltface you might want to look at the .284win or one of its offspring. Good case capacity, awesome bullet selection, excellent Lapua brass, and the bolthead you already have.

The first thing I do is tune the trigger. There is a guy on savageshooters that is giving away spring wire if you send him a SASE. Pretty easy to get a crisp sub 3 pound pull.

The next thing I would do is get it into a decent stock. Plain wood is fine but IMHO a good synthetic or laminate is much better. I think that the Stockades are the best Savage stocks for the price. Get the money saver and do the finish work yourself. Go ahead and bed it also. Remember, the rear tang on a Savage needs to float. Not bedded like a Remington.

If it is still not shooting as well as you'd like, start looking for a new barrel. I shoot the factory stainless fluted 26" varmint barrels in 220 Swift, 22-250, and 300win. All shoot .5 MOA or less.

I've also done a "bolt lift" kit on all my Savage rifles. It is a simple procedure to reduce the amount of force needed to lift the bolt during cocking.

James,

What did your buddy do with that heavy 25-06 barrel? Does he want to sell it?

I just got a new savage 116 what is a bolt lift kit i thought has to be done by a gunsmith?

I just got a new savage 116 what is a bolt lift kit i thought has to be done by a gunsmith?

I've found that very little needs to be done to a savage by a gunsmith. A fella decent with his hands can do most of it by himself. That is, unless, you're looking to build a high end paper punching bench type gun. Then send it to Stockade or SSS for a Time and True.

Bolt lift kit can be purchased from stockade or can be made from a 5/16" ball bearing and an empty 357 or 38 case.

Deprime the 357 case. Cut the wall of the case off so all you have is the rimmed head of the case left. Loctite or glue the bearing into the primer pocket.

Next measure the thickness of the rim of the case and add the amount the ball sticks out of the pocket. This is the amount you'll need to trim off of the BAS.

The BAS is the screw that holds the bolt handle on. It can be very tough to get off. I usually put an allen wrench in the screw, put the whole thing on the floor and put 250 pounds on it. It will snap like you broke it, but it just broke loose. Now is also a good time to put a nice tactical bolt handle on it. I prefer SSS, but stockade's are nice too.

Anyway trim the measured amount off the BAS. I use a bench grinder. Nothing special. Just grind it down, trying to keep it even. Drop the lift kit down into the cocking sleeve and screw the BAS back in.

Whala!! you're all done. Bearings cost about $.16 each and I scrounge the cases from the shooting range. Making, measuring, grinding, and installing takes about 15-20 minutes.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.