Rifle decision help

VanJansenburgh

Hey all, I can't decide on a rifle, maybe you can help. There are three options right now. This would be primarily for target shooting within 500 yrd mostly 100-200 yrd and occasionally some wild goat and deer hunting.
The options:
1) Tikka T3x CTR 6.5 creedmoor 24in barrel
2) CZ 527 varmint MTR 6.5 Grendel 26" barrel
3) Build a 6.5-284 off a Tikka T3 long action.

The price is pretty close for all three, because the tikka action would be "given" to me if I decided to go that route.
Pros and cons to each one?
The CZ wasn't on the list until recently but I really like the efficiency of the rifle, Appropriately sized action, short fat 6.5mm, and a long heavy barrel. I also like the controlled round feed. I even like the walnut stock.
The T3x CTR is a sure thing, but the fact that all Tikkas are long actions no matter the chambering has always bug me, I like efficiency. Plus the stock would have to go eventually and that is +$$, and it lacks character.
The 6.5-284 build is of course a great deal but, a lot of the budget would go into making the old T3 action catch up with the T3x, steel recoil lug, bolt shroud, DBM conversion, Then add barrel and GRS stock the budget really starts to stretch. That's not even with an optic worthy of a quality 6.5-284.
I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.

Any wisdom from those who have traveled this road before?

So what is the actual budget because that helps us give opinions & also other possible suggestions!!

For what your talking Id be looking at going sraight to a Tikka T3x Sporter which imo would be what the 6.5-284 build would be when adding a GRS stock.

6.5x55sw or .308 is all you need to choose on which is more than enough!

Also if sticking to factory look at the savage range as well but I have to admit I do love those Tikka's!

T3XSP-1500x300.png

Last edited:
My .02. I know little about grendal, but if 500 is your limit today, I would look into a light recoiling rifle, and the 6.5 creed stands out here. You will get some disdain here on the creed, but it is solid for your intended use.
My unsolicited advice would be to utilize the Tikka, your mods are not expensive, and spin up a 6.5x47. Right now, it seems like 500 is a poke, let me tell you it is not really. And truthfully, going down to 6mm in either creed or X47 will do anything you are asking your rifle to do here.

The budget is $1500, I should have mentioned, I want a 6.5mm or a 7mm already have a .308 Ruger scout, want a long 24"+ heavy barrel.
Very easy to meet your budget with a Tikka build.
My match rifle is a Tikka with a heavy criterion prefit barrel $425, and a KRG bravo stock with DBM $375.
I went 6 creed and use it beyond 1k, a 6.5 creed would be awesome for your uses.
Here's my setup, shoots 115 dtacs into .5" groups at 200.
IMG_20190617_193530401.jpg

Of those I vote Creedmore. Since you mention target shooting mostly, 24" and heavy is O.K.. when it comes to hunting I favor medium to short barrels.

It seems like the consensus is to go for the Tikka build. The more I think on it the more I just want to do both, not at once of course. The 6.5 Grendel is such an efficient cartridge it would be a great rifle to train with. The I could take my time and do the Tikka build slowly a carefully, by the time it was done I may have enough practice to do it justice.

So next question, I am looking at the Meopta Optika 6, anyone have any experience with these scopes?

I like Tikkas and I want a 6.5-284! Currently building a 28nos or 300norma(have to decide In barrel and send to smith, lol) and my next build will be a 6.5-284norma n a Remington 700 long action.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.