My First Rifle - finally made a decision

confidence is what you need go out to the range and practice find you effective range and don't push it be patience and enjoy your first hunting season. the rifle you chose is great the cal. is good the scope will do for now just take your time and learn to shoot. Andrew

BTW...I was just looking on the Federal Premium Ammunition - Every Shot Counts website. They don't even suggest any of their 25-06 loads for elk if that's what you're aim is. Not that you can't do it...they use to us a 30-30 a century ago to do it, but like I said there's a small "comfort margin" in the 25-06 when your game is elk. If I was going that route with elk, I'd certainly get a stout bullet like the partition to give me a bit of an edge.

Well, I dd buy a General Deer & Elk license but, so far I haven't entered any of the special drawings (due June 1). I am not so sure I need all that.
One of my friends said the other day, he was going to go talk with this guy who is one of the larger Land Owners around here. He doesn't allow hunting on any of his land (miles x miles) except for himself but, my friend said he's sure he will make an exception for me. That would be really special since I hear everybody saying: "all the deer & elk head over to TG's ranch come hunting season".

I think I can control myself enough to NOT take a shot at an Elk unless I'm 100% sure of a clean kill. Plus I will have someone with experience with me to keep me calm and do what is right.
I went with the 25.06 because everybody told me it would be best for the recoil & my body. BTW, I already put a down payment on this rifle. I put 25% down on lay away for 60 days. So I don't know if I can change my mind and select another caliber like the 7mm. That is, if they have it in stock.
Thanks again for all the excellent advice !

confidence is what you need go out to the range and practice find you effective range and don't push it be patience and enjoy your first hunting season. the rifle you chose is great the cal. is good the scope will do for now just take your time and learn to shoot. Andrew

Yes, I plan on going to the range often so I can practice all the various methods I have read about concerning how to accurately fire.
There is a shooting range nearby that is accessible by key.
I have so far only driven by the place but, it looks like it can accommodate any length of distance one wants. I believe it is owned by the Stillwater Mining Company and located on the extreme boundary of their property.
One of my friends brother manages it and, she told me she would talk to him and get me a key so I can go out there anytime I want, rather than relying on somebody having the time to take me out there.
It's in a town called NYE, MT. It's so small they have a sign which reads: "you are entering & leaving NYE" on the same sign.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nye,_Montana

I live in Absarokee, MT - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absarokee,_Montana

So, what is your opinion on this Company, this Rifle and Caliber?

BTW, I already put a down payment on this rifle. I put 25% down on lay away for 60 days. So I don't know if I can change my mind and select another caliber like the 7mm. That is, if they have it in stock.

It's a bit late to come and ask us for opinions when you've already made a decision that apparently can't be changed.

How much more should I spend and what advantage would I get for the extra money?

I am Disabled, Low Income (SSDI) and not looking to shoot 1000 meters and hit someone between their eyes.
I'm just going Deer Hunting. Wouldn't this scope be sufficient for my purposes ?

It's better to tell us your budget than to ask "how much more should I spend?"
If you want great optics I'll tell you that they will cost more than the whole package you listed. :D
If you tell us you want the best scope for price $X that's a lot easier. And, there are dozens of thread in the Optics section that answer that question.

If the whole thing is a moot point because you can't change your layaway then go ahead and start with your package and go from there. If you're really lucky find someone else who shoots a 25-06 and see if they have 5-10 rounds of various factory ammo for you to shoot and see what works best out of your rifle. Otherwise you might easily buy 3-5 boxes of ammo at $40 each to try them out. Been there, done that.

Absorkee is one of Montana's better kept secrets... paradise off the beaten path... I have thought about relocating there quite often. Climbed Granite Peak a few times, love the Beartooths!

The Howa is a great rifle and very good chance it will be a good shooter. You might want to check whether or not the barrel is free floated.

The 25-06 will be good for everything but a little light for elk. You can definitely take a bull elk with it but you can't guarantee 100% it will not run off a good distance after being shot. If your mobility is limited you should plan for that contingency by having someone who will assist you in recovery if necessary.

Light loads in the 25-06 are pleasant to shoot but max loads will kick a little.

My advise would be to sell the scope and get something better. It might work well and it might not. Optics is something you don't want to skimp on. if you have a great shooting rifle topped with an unreliable optic is a curse, and the best optic topped on a 3 MOA rifle is also a curse. I've experienced both. Sell the scope and get the best optic your budget allows.

Best of success, and you'll improve the odds with good equipment and good planning and preparedness.

Absarokee is one of Montana's better kept secrets... paradise off the beaten path... I have thought about relocating there quite often. Climbed Granite Peak a few times, love the Beartooths!

The Howa is a great rifle and very good chance it will be a good shooter. You might want to check whether or not the barrel is free floated.

The 25-06 will be good for everything but a little light for elk. You can definitely take a bull elk with it but you can't guarantee 100% it will not run off a good distance after being shot. If your mobility is limited you should plan for that contingency by having someone who will assist you in recovery if necessary.

Light loads in the 25-06 are pleasant to shoot but max loads will kick a little.

My advise would be to sell the scope and get something better. It might work well and it might not. Optics is something you don't want to skimp on. if you have a great shooting rifle topped with an unreliable optic is a curse, and the best optic topped on a 3 MOA rifle is also a curse. I've experienced both. Sell the scope and get the best optic your budget allows.

Best of success, and you'll improve the odds with good equipment and good planning and preparedness.

Thanks ! Yes I agree about the 'Best kept secret' ;>}
This being my First time ever, I've got a lot to learn.
I bought the package deal for simplicity sake, figuring both might be matched in suitability.
At least for this first time. I'm sure I'll get wiser as time goes on.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.