New Rifle decision

FullyLoaded

I know there are a lot of questions here as to what rifles to buy for a long range build. I want to stay under $750 for less. I want to put more $$ into glass than a rifle. I would prefer to go new than used but used would not be out of the question. Caliber 300wm

The rifles I have been looking hard at are TC Venture, Tikka t3 or the Weatherby Vanguard S2. I think they are quality made rifles and all have good and bad points. If you were going to get one, which direction would you go and why??

FL

Out of three, I would go with the Vangaurd. I've had two Howas in the past and they are basically the same as the Vanguard. Both were very accurate out of the box.

I know nothing about the TC Venture, but have had a horrible experience with Tikka and Beretta USA.

Another opinion would be to save a few more bucks and purchase a savage like the LRH. For a factory rifle, these are very accurate and your chances of getting a good one is better than most other factory brands.

Judy my 2 cents

I would go with the Vanguard, I have one in 25-06 with a Leupold vx-3 on it and it's incredibly accurate. And that's in the factory wood stock and everything. I really like the trigger on it. My Brother and I just bought my Dad a Tikka t3 in 25-06 and so far it's been nice. I would shy away from the TC.

But I also highly suggest going used. You can usually get more for your money if you shop around and find what you want in great condition.

I have a couple of Tikka's, both shoot great. The one thing I would advise before choosing is you check the price of replacement, or additional magazine. Some of these run up to $170 depending on model.

I wouldn't rule out used, some good deals in the classifieds. From actually NIB, to just broke in.

I just went through this and bought the Tikka. So far it shoots amazingly well with factory ammo and is smooth as glass.

My question for you is-

What do you mean by "long range" and "build"?

If you are simply wanting to take a good factory rifle, put a good scope on it, and shoot it any of the above will work well.

If you are looking at eventually rebarreling, restocking, and/or blueprinting for truly long range I would look at either the Remington 700 Long Range or maybe the equivalant Savage.

Finding a gunsmith that is experienced with the specialized work on some of these other brands may prove a daunting task, and may be more expensive as well.

Remingtons are like the small block Chevys of the long range world- parts (and gunsmiths that really know how to make them shoot) are very common, and therefore tend to be less expensive in the long run than some of the other brands.

You can pick up a 700 Long Range for $700, shoot it as is until you can save up for the upgrades such as better trigger, different stock, etc.- here again, assuming you are not simply looking for a factory sporter rifle to shoot 4-500 yards.

Good luck on your build and keep us informed on how it's going!

Ron

+1-You can pick up a 700 Long Range for $700, shoot it as is until you can save up for the upgrades such as better trigger, different stock, etc.- here again, assuming you are not simply looking for a factory sporter rifle to shoot 4-500 yards. i agree. roninflag

Thanks for the responses. Living in WI there are few places to take 500 yard shots and this includes at any rifle ranges (most here are 200 yards at most). I have a brother that moved to Montana and I expect to get out elk hunting. I have elk and mulie hunted before but its been a while.

My intention is to set up a rifle that will take me beyond the 500 yard mark I can shoot with my 3006. My current 3006 is 25 years old and has served me well. It still shoots great but has ALOT of rounds through it. The new rifle would take me to the next step in long range shooting, out to 1000 yards. Generally I don't see using a long range rifle for swamp hunting where shots are 100 yards or less. It certainly is not necessary. Rifles are like golf clubs. You don't putt with a driver and drive with a putter.

I am not made out of money and really cant afford to drop $700 to on a rifle, $800 scope, $200 trigger replacement, $150 stock, $50 bedding, etc.....$$$ If I am going to spend that kind of money I would be better off just ordering a gun for $3,000 and put it in the safe.
I am looking to set up a rifle that can be done for a reasonable $$ amount that will shoot out accurately out to 1000 yards. I am just looking for the best value in a rifle to get me to my goal.

If 700$ is too much money for a 1000 yard rifle, you've picked the wrong sport.

I second the idea of getting the 700LR. It's a lot of rifle for not a lot of money. You can upgrade things such as triggers later. You can bed it yourself for cheap if it's needed in the first place. The stock is pretty decent too. You're going to be hard pressed to find a better value for what you'd be getting in something else.

Remington 700 LR is hard to beat for the price, I bought one in 7mm and all I've done to it is install a Timney trigger and put a Vortex PST scope on it. Shoots great, figure I'll burn the stock barrel out and then replace.

FullyLoaded;1151283 I am looking to set up a rifle that can be done for a reasonable $$ amount that will shoot out accurately out to 1000 yards. I am just looking for the best value in a rifle to get me to my goal.[/QUOTE said:
Have you considered rebarreling your '06?

If you already have a good setup in your current rifle, just need a little extra for longer ranges, maybe slap on a new barrel in, say, .300 Win Mag.

Then work up some handloads.

And cut a shooting lane through the timber so you can actually PRACTICE at 1000 yards if you intend to shoot game at that range.

Please realize that, 1000 yards is a HUGE step from 500. It really isn't as simple as a new barrel, and you may very well end up with a trigger, bedding and/or stock, etc., etc.

Would need to open the bolt face going from 30-06 to 300 WM. You could look into building a 6.5 of some sort and would not need to open the bolt face(6.5 Sherman,260,Creedmore,6.5X47 etc). Could just do a 30-06AI to. There are lots of options unless you are stuck on the 300WM. On another note, I would really recommend a muzzle brake if you go with a 300WM. When shooting 215 gr bullets and higher there is a fair bit of recoil. Some of the other caliber suggestions I gave may not be suitable for game out to 1000 yds. The Sherman will the others probably not quite.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.