New Rifle decision

I do reload rifle and pistol and have been doing so for 26 years. My 3006 is a remington 7600 pump action that is 27 years old. I bought it as at the time I wanted a detachable magazine rifle hunting in farm country and doing a lot of deer drives. I have shot more deer at 200+ yards than under 100 yards. My farthest whitetail harvest was 420 yards, lazered distance. I also have a 308 Encore pistol and my farthest harvest was at 175 yards.
I have taken a few hours and looked at many of the store options for guns that interested me. The two that came out on top was the 700 Long range and the 700 SPS stainless. The biggest issue I have with the 700 LR is the weight. I cant see elk hunting lugging a rifle the will weigh in excess of 12 lbs. Bench shooting is one thing but in a real hunting world carrying that gun would not seem like much fun.
The SPS would save some weight. The heavy barrel on the LR would have a definite advantage for barrel heating but hunting would a heavy barrel be more of a hinderance?
I really try to to maintain the "one shot = one kill" theory when hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.