savage 6.5x284 rifle help

crittrgittr

I am thinking of a new rifle chambered in 6.5x284. I believe that savage is the only current factory one available. I am thinking of the lrh or the predator hunter. The lrh has a standard barrel with a muzzle break, and a adjustable cheek plate. The predator hunter has a m-heavy fluted barrel. I would like it to have minimum 24" barrrel, which both have. I am open to any suggestions on any/all factory rifles under $900 that would match this. I am only interested in 6.5x284, so please only comment on this calliber:). It will be mainly a plunking gun, but a back up whitetail gun.

I think Savage is the only mfg that mass produces rifles in this caliber. I have a BVSS converted to VLP and love it. It's easy, both to shoot and reload for and is extremely accurate. As for whitetails, it will kiil them farther than some people can even see them. Great round. JohnnyK.

P.S. I have found a LRH in this cal and am debating over whether I really need it!

link works for me

go to cabelas, keyword = 03206551

Savage 6.5 made for Cabelas. stainless fluted med varmint taper with accu trigger and stock. Same thing as the savage LRH but not as ugly.

The other factory 6.5-284 is the Cooper, but it's more than 2x the price of the Savage. I have the LRH and the Cooper. Both shoot .25MOA. The Savage is a great value in any model.

CG,
Yes, I have owned it since March of 2010. I have shot some impressive (to me) groups with it using 120gn Ballistic Tips at 500yds. Several 3-shot groups in the 1.5 - 1.75" range. I have also taken several whitetails with it and they have all been DRT. All were 400yds or less but dropped at the sound of the rifle going off.
Both of my BVSS's have 26" stainless fluted barrels. I bought the .300WinMag used but the 6.5-284Norma new. The Norma's barrel, IMO, did not need breaking in. The first group (shots 3,4 & 5) measured .3 and change! It's only gotten better. JohnnyK.

Thanx guys. Sounds like the bvss or lrh are the way to go. I am still trying to get to cabelas site and check out that one. Thanx again for your advice.

I have the model they are referring to. It is a model 116 special edition for cabelas and IMO a nice rifle. I did break my barrel in and now that is has a little over 100 rounds it has settled in nicely. Fit and finish are nice, it looks good, and I have had zero issues. It is a shooter for sure. Also, I did put a picture of in the photos section if you want to see it.

Thanx Brent. I was able to see it on Cabelas site. Looks like a nice rig also. Nobody has any predator hunters out there?

Do you mean in that chamber or just in general? If in general I have a model 10 predator in a 204. That is an awesome rifle. It shoots factory Hornady ammo in the 40g VMAX with .15 groups every day of the week and they stay tight out to 500 yards. I have shot 1.5" groups at 400 with it. The camo paint on the rifle is not all the great though. It shows wear easily and I have not used this rifle all that much. Still, I don't want to replace the rifle. I sold my 220 swift and kept it.

Thanx again for all your input. Sounds like you all have had good luck with all savages. I looked up the bvss and no longer offered in 6.5-284. Sounds like I have to pick a model with the most important features IMO and go with it. How about the muzzle break on the lrh some say its nice others say not needed?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.