Rifle Powder numbers? The same but different?

Glenn Tullius

I am like many others, struggling to find certain powders. I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before. Why did powder manufacturer's use the same designations, ie AA4350, IMR4350, and H4350? Can you use the same load data safely between them? I am not expecting the same results with velocity or accuracy, but dang, it seems like if something becomes available I've gotta buy at least three pounds of each to make sure I can do any kind of testing! You can't buy one pound today and expect one stinking pound to be available a month from now!

1593190335491.png

Although burn rates run somewhat similar, treat them as completely different powders and start low and work up with your preferred load data source.

The 3 powders you listed are 3 different manufacturers. Also, anytime you switch any component, back off and work back up again to verify.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Like BoomFlop said, these burn rates listed can be very helpful but can be a little tricky. Like on the chart where RL26 is right next to h1000. RL26 has a high bulk density, which means that for example that the same charge weight of RL26 as h1000 won't take up as much room in the case. So while a cartridge may hold a certain amount of RL26, that same cartridge may be highly compressed with the same charge weight of H1000. But that's just one example.

My sympathies to those looking for powders. Ive been there before. I remember thinking that I would never be able to find retumbo again but I did. What's funny is how lots of folks bad-mouthed retumbo 10 years or more ago and it was setting on the shelves at just about any shop that sold reloading supplies at that time.

My sympathies to those looking for powders. Ive been there before. I remember thinking that I would never be able to find retumbo again but I did. What's funny is how lots of folks bad-mouthed retumbo 10 years or more ago and it was setting on the shelves at just about any shop that sold reloading supplies at that time.
I was getting big into reloading when Obama was elected. Man...that made for a nightmare as everyone ran out to buy it all. This run on powder right now isn't nearly as bad. However if dementia Joe gets in look out there will be a mad dash for all components.
As for the OPs question you have been given good advice. I would simply add if everywhere says get H1000 or whatever powder for your rifle. Look and see what the alternatives are to that powder and check all the manufactures. I am going to start using Ramshot powder, because it's available and they have similar powders to what I usually use. Then for data check their site or loading manual for loads. If that doesn't work call them and ask them for what the load data. Good luck

Last edited:
I was getting big into reloading when Obama was elected. Man...that made for a nightmare as everyone ran out to buy it all. This run on powder right now isn't nearly as bad. However if dementia Joe gets in look out there will be a mad dash for all components.
As for the OPs question you have been given good advice. I would simply add if everywhere says get H1000 or whatever powder for your rifle. Look and see what the alternatives are to that powder and check all the manufactures. I am going to start using Ramshot powder, because it's available and they have similar powders to what I usually use. Then for data check their site or loading manual for loads. If that doesn't work call them and ask them for what the load data. Good luck
Ive been hearing some good things about ramshot powders. I'm a bit Interested in Their LRT powder.

Love to know that myself.
You would think there would be clear powder standards that all reloaders would understand..
Imr4350 was the first 4350 powder as I understand it. Maybe some one else knows the story on Accurate powders AA4350 but I'm sure it was an attempt to sell their own version of the popular 4350 powder. Hodgdon wanted to offer the popular burn rate of imr4350 in their temperature stable series of extreme powders and gave it the monkier h4350.
Imr4350 was a highly versatile powder in its time. A time before there was multitudes of powders with burn rates available to micro taylor a load to a bullet & cartridge combo like it is today. That burn rate is still very versatile. But like I said, today most people want to micro tune, to get fine tuned case fill ratios and get high enough velocities so they can cross over multiple velocity nodes in order to see which node works out to be the most accurate. Imr4350 was said to have been the most accurate powders with 180s in the 300 wm years ago. I can attest that it was a very accurate combo. A fellow could take H4350 and retumbo and reload everything from 243 win to 300 Remington ultra mag, and do it with fine accuracy & good velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.